The Columbia Missourian Newsroom Will Host the Boot Camp Portion of the Program
By Rebecca Dell
Columbia, Mo. (Feb. 6, 2014) — Missouri School of Journalism junior Annie Dankelson has been selected as the Missouri Scholar for the national Sports Journalism Institute. She will participate in the prestigious program’s boot camp before beginning a summer internship at MLB.com.
Dankelson, from Aurora, Ohio, is a magazine writing major. A reporter for the Columbia Missourian, she currently covers the softball team. Previously Dankelson reported on MU gymnastics and Columbia College softball. She is a member of the Association for Women in Sports Media.
“I am extremely honored to be a part of this program,” Dankelson said. “I know I will be among great talent from across the country, and I’m excited to promote diversity within the sports journalism field.”
SJI was designed in 1993 to help women and minority students secure jobs in the sports media. Today, about 275 SJI alumni are working at news outlets across the country.
Dankelson is one of 11 chosen for the SJI Class of 2014. The students will spend May 30-June 7 training in Columbia, Mo., after which they’ll disperse to internships throughout the country.
This year is the third year the boot camp phase of the program will take place in the newsroom of the Columbia Missourian. Since the partnership began, Missouri has nominated one scholar each year to take part in the program.
“This partnership has been a blast. The SJI class sends a jolt through our newsroom,” said Greg Bowers, associate professor and the Missourian’s sports editor. “The relationship has matured from joining in with our newsroom budget meetings to adding to the newspaper’s Special Olympics coverage. We’re more excited about the third year of this relationship than we were about the first.”
SJI’s other partners include the Association for Women in Sports Media, the Asian-American Journalists Association, the National Association of Hispanic Journalists, and the National Association of Black Journalists. Sponsors include ESPN, Associated Press Sports Editors, MLB.com, USA Today and the National Football League.
Gregory Lee Jr., a 1994 SJI alum, the executive sports editor at the South Florida Sun Sentinel and former president of the National Association of Black Journalists, is on the board of directors at SJI. In 2013, Lee received the Missouri Honor Medal for Distinguished Service in Journalism for fostering the development of young sports journalists.
“The partnership with the University of Missouri has enhanced our training portion of this program,” Lee said. “We enjoy coming to Columbia and we are looking forward to having Annie continue the SJI/Missouri standard of excellence.”
Also participating in SJI’s boot camp in Columbia will be Leon Carter, a member of the SJI Board and executive editor of ESPN New York, Mary Byrne, the second vice president of Associated Press Sports Editors and managing editor of USA Today Sports.
Updated: July 21, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 11, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism is home to a student videographer with an impressive portfolio
- Feb 24, 2020 Columbia Missourian sports section, 20 students score big at national APSE awards contest
- Feb 17, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism students gain hands-on experience covering Super Bowl, fan experience live from Miami
- Jan 28, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism student Chelsea Roemer named one of eight AWSM Scholars across the nation
- Jul 19, 2018 J-School Undergraduates Take Time Out to Attend Association for Women in Sports Media Conference
- Jul 11, 2018 ESPN Veteran Michael Knisley to Lead Columbia Missourian Sports Coverage
- Jun 11, 2018 Mizzou Students Take Three of Top 10 Spots in Second Annual APSE Contest
- Feb 22, 2018 Peter Baugh, Newly-Named Hummel Intern at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Talks Sports Journalism
- Jan 24, 2018 Senior Tashan Reed Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Dec 18, 2017 Missouri Journalism Students to Gain Hands-On Experience Covering Dec. 27 Bowl Game
- Dec 11, 2017 Rachel Blount, MA '86, Talks Sports Journalism
- Jul 19, 2017 Mizzou Alumnus Jason Stallman, BJ '97, Talks Sports Journalism
- Jun 22, 2017 Mizzou Alumnus Mike Hall, BJ '04, Talks Sports Journalism
- May 09, 2017 Inside Sports: Missouri School of Journalism
- Apr 04, 2017 Missourian Reporters Win Top Associated Press Sports Editors Awards
- Feb 22, 2017 Association for Women in Sports Media Members Attend National Conference
- Jan 26, 2017 Senior Colton Pouncy Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Dec 12, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Big Opportunities in Beijing
- Oct 31, 2016 Where Are They Now? Morgan Uber, BJ '15
- Sep 29, 2016 St. Louis Cardinals Partner with Sports and Entertainment Promotions for New Promotional Strategy
- Sep 11, 2016 Alumni Profile: Christianna Weiss
- Aug 31, 2016 Association for Women in Sports Media Members Attend National Convention
- Dec 21, 2015 Junior Aaron Reiss Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Nov 30, 2015 MSNBC Managing Editor Rashida Jones Headlines 4th Annual Unity Conference
- Nov 17, 2015 Missouri Honor Medalist Lincoln Stephens Presents 'Life Is A Pitch' Workshop
- Sep 25, 2015 National Association of Black Journalists Chapter Hosts Speed Mentoring Activity
- Apr 15, 2015 Missouri Wins Top Association of Women in Sports Media Honor
- Feb 24, 2015 Students, Missourian Earn Awards in National Sports Editors Contest
- Feb 05, 2015 Seth Boster, Annie Dankelson Win Dean's Award for Sports Reporting
- Sep 03, 2014 MU Chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists Wins Student Chapter of the Year
- Jul 29, 2014 The Associated Press Sports Editors Award $1,500 Scholarship to Senior Joe Trezza
- Jul 28, 2014 Master's Student Gets Chance to Speak at National Sports Editors Conference
- Jun 09, 2014 Missouri Chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists Named a Finalist for Student Chapter of the Year
- Mar 27, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students, Columbia Missourian Win 7 Awards in Associated Press Sports Editors Contest
- Feb 27, 2014 ESPN Sports Anchor Cara Capuano Speaks to Missouri AWSM Members
- Feb 06, 2014 Annie Dankelson to Intern at MLB.com as Part of Her Selection for the National Sports Journalism Institute
- Oct 10, 2005 Newspaper Sports Journalists Imitate ESPN's Entertaining Jargon, MU Researchers Find
- May 09, 2005 Two Missouri Students Prove There is More Than One Winner at the Final Four
- Apr 20, 2005 First Sports Convergence Career Fair to Be Offered
- Mar 10, 2005 Two Missouri Journalism Students Win Hearst Journalism Award