The Associated Press Sports Editors Award $1,500 Scholarship to Senior Joe Trezza
His Summer Internship at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Allows Him to Cover Every Home Cardinals Game
Columbia, Mo. (July 29, 2014) — Senior Joseph Trezza is one of four national winners of a $1,500 scholarship from the Associated Press Sports Editors. Trezza, a print and digital news student at the Missouri School of Journalism, is from Staten Island, New York.
Trezza covered last season’s University of Missouri men’s basketball team for the Columbia Missourian. He is interning at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this summer and covers every Cardinals home game. His sports reporting has been published in 11 publications, including the Post-Dispatch, Newsday and the Knoxville News Sentinel in Tennessee.
Trezza placed second in the 2013 Missouri College Media Association competition for a sports column he wrote. He has earned dean’s list honors for eight consecutive semesters.
Trezza played college baseball at Queens College in New York – a catcher – until he was sidelined by injuries. A search for a new direction led him to Missouri, where he focuses on sports writing.
“Joe has had a good summer with this scholarship announcement and his internship at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,” said Greg Bowers, associate professor and Missourian sports editor. “I think he’s learning that hard work produces good results, whether you’re talking about playing baseball or writing about it.”
“The Missouri School of Journalism challenges me every day in ways I didn’t know possible,” Trezza said. “My professors offer fantastic guidance while my parents extend tremendous support and an almost incomprehensible amount of trust in me. I’m very grateful.”
Updated: July 30, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Aug 20, 2014 Senior Michael Shaw Wins $5,000 Jim Murray Memorial Foundation Scholarship
- Jul 28, 2014 Master's Student Gets Chance to Speak at National Sports Editors Conference
- May 27, 2014 Campaign Group Develops 'Team STL' Branding Campaign for Fox Sports
- Mar 27, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students, Columbia Missourian Win 7 Awards in Associated Press Sports Editors Contest
- Mar 11, 2014 Brendan Meyer Takes Eighth Place in Sports Writing in the National Hearst Journalism Awards Program
- Mar 07, 2014 Brendan Meyer and Michael Shaw Win Dean's Award for Sports Reporting in Mastering the Method Contest
- Feb 06, 2014 Annie Dankelson to Intern at MLB.com as Part of Her Selection for the National Sports Journalism Institute