The Associated Press Sports Editors Award $1,500 Scholarship to Senior Joe Trezza

His Summer Internship at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch Allows Him to Cover Every Home Cardinals Game

Columbia, Mo. (July 29, 2014) — Senior Joseph Trezza is one of four national winners of a $1,500 scholarship from the Associated Press Sports Editors. Trezza, a print and digital news student at the Missouri School of Journalism, is from Staten Island, New York.

Joe Trezza
Joe Trezza

Trezza covered last season’s University of Missouri men’s basketball team for the Columbia Missourian. He is interning at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch this summer and covers every Cardinals home game. His sports reporting has been published in 11 publications, including the Post-Dispatch, Newsday and the Knoxville News Sentinel in Tennessee.

Trezza placed second in the 2013 Missouri College Media Association competition for a sports column he wrote. He has earned dean’s list honors for eight consecutive semesters.

Trezza played college baseball at Queens College in New York – a catcher – until he was sidelined by injuries. A search for a new direction led him to Missouri, where he focuses on sports writing.

“Joe has had a good summer with this scholarship announcement and his internship at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch,” said Greg Bowers, associate professor and Missourian sports editor. “I think he’s learning that hard work produces good results, whether you’re talking about playing baseball or writing about it.”

“The Missouri School of Journalism challenges me every day in ways I didn’t know possible,” Trezza said. “My professors offer fantastic guidance while my parents extend tremendous support and an almost incomprehensible amount of trust in me. I’m very grateful.”

Updated: July 30, 2020