Columbia, Mo. (May 14, 2012) — Cheri Eichholz Cherry, the newsroom coordinator for the Columbia Missourian, was named the 2012 recipient of the Amy Lenk Staff Excellence Award during the recognition ceremony held May 7 in the Fred W. Smith Forum of the Reynolds Journalism Institute. Cherry received a $500 cash award and a plaque.
In her nomination packet the print and digital news faculty noted that Cherry made their lives easier and better.
“Cheri has single-handedly made a major improvement in the overall organization of the newsroom. She identifies problems and solves them,” noted the Missourian editors.
“She performs her work flow with an even temperament and a positive attitude,” said Jeanne Abbott, managing editor. “Nothing defeats her. In the face of hundreds of students and a dozen faculty members who depend on her to help the newsroom run smoothly, she is calm and competent.”
Other nominees for this year’s award included:
- Brian Cottle, support systems administrator, KOMU
- Ginny Cowell, administrative assistant
- Rene Rau, assistant to the executive director, Reynolds Journalism Institute
- Cindy Roe, fiscal analyst, Reynolds Journalism Institute
Several staff members were also recognized for employment anniversaries with the University of Missouri:
- Sarah Henderson, administrative assistant
- Janet Jensen, administrative assistant
- Noah Medling, I-Net, Columbia Missourian
- Patrick Muck, fiscal analyst
- Ted Peterson, system administrator
- Cindy Roe, fiscal analyst
- Jonathan Stemmle, director, Health Communication Research Center
- Robert Weir, director of digital development, Columbia Missourian
- Pia Christensen, senior information specialist
- Heather Feldmann, administrative associate
- Urska Lenart, academic adviser
- Sarah Samson, coordinator program/project support
- Brian Steffens, director of communications, Reynolds Journalism Institute
- Shawn Wallace, academic adviser
- Lynne Newby, administrative assistant
- Dan Potter, general manager, Columbia Missourian
- Bruce Moore, supervisor production, Columbia Missourian
- Nancy Stockett, circulation office manager, Columbia Missourian
- Jack Swartz, advertising director, Columbia Missourian
The tribute, formerly the Pat on the Back Award, was renamed in 2009 in honor of Amy Lenk, who retired in 2009 after 35 years of service with the school.
Updated: August 15, 2019