STEVE WEINBERG graduated from the Missouri School of Journalism in 1970, returning later for a master’s degree. He started in newspaper newsrooms, moved to magazines so he could write longer features, and then shifted to book writing with its immense word counts. Today, Weinberg supplements his book writing with freelance magazine features, newspaper op-ed pieces and book reviews. His books include a guide to journalism in Washington, D.C. (“Trade Secrets of Washington Journalists,” Acropolis, 1981); a biography of Armand Hammer (Little, Brown, 1989); a guide to reading and writing biography (“Telling the Untold Story,” University of Missouri Press, 1992); “The Reporter’s Handbook: An Investigator’s Guide to Documents and Techniques,” published by St. Martin’s Press and commissioned by Investigative Reporters and Editors, 1996; A Journalism of Humanity, the centennial history of the Missouri School of Journalism (University of Missouri Press, 2008); and a dual biography of Ida Tarbell and John D. Rockefeller (W.W. Norton, 2008).
When in the classroom, Weinberg alternately taught in-depth reporting/writing courses, courses related to covering the criminal justice system as part of an innocence project at the University of Missouri, and a reviewing/criticism course. Weinberg joined the Missouri School of Journalism faculty in 1978 as director of its Washington, D.C., reporting program. In 1983, he moved to Columbia, Mo., to serve as executive director of Investigative Reporters and Editors, Inc., a professional organization with thousands of members that is headquartered at the School. Weinberg stepped aside as IRE executive director in 1990 to spend more time with his family, but continues to contribute to IRE’s magazine as a writer and copyeditor.
Weinberg is the father of two children, one of whom graduated from the Missouri School of Journalism in 2002.
- Len Bruzzese, Steve Weinberg, Brant Houston. The Investigative Reporter's Handbook: A Guide to Documents, Databases and Techniques, New York: Bedford-St. Martin's Press, 2002.
- Steve Weinberg. The Reporter's Handbook: An Investigator's Guide to Documents and Techniques, 3rd Edition, New York: St. Martin's Press, 1996.
- Steve Weinberg. A Journalism of Humanity: A Candid History of the World's First Journalism School, Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri Press, 2008.
- Steve Weinberg. Taking on the Trust: The Epic Battle of Ida Tarbell and John D. Rockefeller, W.W. Norton, 2008.
- Dec 4, 2018: Journalism School Celebrates 50 Years of Washington, D.C. Program with Event on Dec. 5
- Nov 8, 2016: Retired Magazine Professor Jan Colbert Dies
- Apr 12, 2016: 11 Journalism Alumni Headline 'Words Matter' Writing Conference at the School
- May 20, 2015: Dean Mills: A Lifetime in Journalism, a Legacy as School of Journalism Dean
- Jan 20, 2015: Veteran Journalist, Dedicated Educator Stuart Loory Dies at 82
- Apr 17, 2012: Joye Patterson Remembered as Innovator in the Field of Science Journalism at MU
- Mar 9, 2012: Henry Hager, 85, MU Journalism Professor, Remembered for Graceful Interaction
- Jun 14, 2010: Steve Weinberg Receives UM Curators' Award for Scholarly Excellence
- Jun 7, 2010: Glenn Leshner Named O.O. McIntyre Professor for 2010
- May 29, 2009: Betty Houchin Winfield Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Mar 6, 2009: Magazine Club Visits 16 Magazines in New York
- Mar 4, 2009: Missouri Journalism Student Documents Wrongful Conviction
- May 28, 2008: Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- May 23, 2008: Missouri School of Journalism Graduate Wins $12,000 O.O. McIntyre Fellowship
- Apr 23, 2008: Centennial/Dedication Registration Now Open
- Feb 21, 2008: New Book Offers Insider's View of the World's First School of Journalism
- Feb 7, 2008: New Innocence Project Gives Students Investigative Reporting Experience and Legal Knowledge
- Sep 17, 2007: Journalism School Makes Headlines in University's Alumni Magazine
- May 31, 2007: Woelfel Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- Jun 22, 2006: Weinberg Honored with $10,000 McIntyre Professorship for Excellence in Teaching
- Nov 8, 2005: Journalism Students' Work Published in St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- Apr 25, 2005: Family of 1910 Journalism Graduate Provides Gift to School
- Mar 15, 2005: Overholser Authors Book Chapter on Journalists and Corporate Scandals
- Feb 14, 2003: Upcoming Magazine Fair Unites Campus and Community