Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 6, 2013) — From the moment the Columbia Missourian team leaves the University of Missouri columns to the arrival in Atlanta, its members will give readers and followers a sense of the road trip and images of Tiger fans they meet along the way.
For the first time the Missourian is sending a member of its community outreach team on the road to enhance storytelling efforts.
Convergence journalism senior Andrew Gibson is joining two writers and two photojournalists as they cover the SEC Championship Game in Atlanta. He’ll be documenting fan activities and observations using social media platforms like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Vine and Storify. Highlights from those platforms will be published on ColumbiaMissourian.com. Gibson also will invite the fans he meets to contribute their own photos and stories for posting in the Missourian’s “From Readers” section.
Photo editor-photographer Amy Stroth and photographer Kevin Cook as well as reporters Matthew Fairburn and Alex Smith will supplement Gibson’s social media efforts in addition to handling their own assignments.
“Our community outreach team’s social football coverage plays a big role in the newsroom’s approach to the game and the fan experience, and I’m thrilled to have the chance to take that show on the road,” said Joy Mayer, associate professor. “The Missourian’s coverage would seem incomplete without it, and I’m excited that the newsroom can invest in social coverage in this way.”
Back in the Missourian newsroom, the outreach team will create a rolling, live report through a curation of social activities – from readers as well as from its journalists on the scene – on the Social Football page. That page is an embed from a platform called RebelMouse, which makes it easy to display visual content from a variety of platforms. The team also will use Storify to present frozen snapshots around themes and more narrow topics.
Visit columbiamissourian.com to access the Columbia Missourian’s SEC Championship Game coverage.
Updated: July 21, 2020
- Dec 29, 2014 Vivian Schiller to Deliver Keynote at 2015 Journalism Interactive Conference
- Dec 04, 2014 Columbia Missourian: 'Significant' Revenue from Google Surveys
- Apr 07, 2014 Twitter Use Linked to Infidelity and Divorce, MU Study Finds
- Apr 02, 2014 Hilary Weaver to Tweet for Women in the World Summit in New York
- Apr 02, 2014 Andrew Gibson Named Outstanding Honors College Senior for the Missouri School of Journalism
- Feb 26, 2014 Missouri Tests Multi-Platform Storytelling Across Six Newsrooms
- Dec 06, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Deliver the Ultimate in SEC Championship Game Coverage
- Dec 06, 2013 A First: Social Media Reporter Among Those Covering SEC Championship Game for the Missourian
- Oct 21, 2013 Broadcasting & Cable Magazine Features the Missouri School of Journalism in Its Sept. 30 Cover Story
- Oct 21, 2013 Emerging Technologies in Journalism Class Experiments with Distant News Coverage of ONA13
- Mar 15, 2013 Missouri Journalism Students Cover SEC Basketball Tournament in Nashville
- Sep 06, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism Sports Reporters Cover the Tigers Inaugural SEC Season
- Jul 25, 2012 Journalism Students Produce 10-Part Series on Book Challenges in Missouri's Public Schools
- Jul 11, 2012 Missouri Journalism Students Document Lives and Dreams of Millennial Generation - Ages 16 to 35 - in the State
- Nov 29, 2010 Hearst, Reynolds Journalism Institute, Adobe, Google and Sprint Nextel Announce Student Mobile Media Design Competition
- Aug 30, 2010 Award-Winning Editor Mike Jenner Named the Houston Harte Chair in Journalism at Missouri
- May 06, 2010 The Clock Is Ticking for Mobile Journalism Adaptation, Journalism Professor Says
- Dec 22, 2008 Columbia Missourian to Continue as a Home-Delivery Print Newspaper; Two Editions to Be Discontinued
- Nov 25, 2008 Missouri Journalism Student, Alumnus Win Awards in Society of Environmental Journalists' National Contest
- Mar 20, 2008 MOJO Ad Pitches Mobile Platform Strategies to Television Bureau of Advertising Executives