Strategic Communication Students at the Missouri School of Journalism Will Help a New Professional Basketball League Develop a Strategy to Launch Its Brand in 2019
Columbia, Mo. (Sept. 5, 2018) — During the fall 2018 semester, The Basketball League (TBL) will serve as a client of the Sports and Entertainment Promotion class taught by Professor Cynthia Frisby. The goal of the campaign will be two-fold: to build the TBL brand and to help the league find ways to support nonprofit entities in the cities of each team. TBL currently has 11 teams in place for its launch in January, with future teams yet to be named.
“We are ecstatic to work with the students, Dr. Frisby and others who share our dream to positively impact communities through sports and entertainment,” said Evelyn Magley, the CEO of TBL and the first African-American female owner of a men’s professional basketball league in the U.S.
Students benefit, Frisby said, by gaining real-world experience in the professional sports and entertainment area. Frisby is the author of a new book, “How You See Me, How You Don’t: Essays on Stereotypes and Representation of Media and Its Effects on Minorities, Women, and Adolescents.”
“This partnership will help ensure the promotional strategies appeal to a millennial generation, the generation of change,” Magley said.
Updated: August 15, 2019
- Dec 18, 2018 Association for Women in Sports Media Names Mizzou Student Devin Kane an 'AWSM Scholar'
- Nov 06, 2018 Journalism Students Learn How to 'Get in the Game' of Sports Journalism, Promotions at Recent Event
- Oct 23, 2018 Missouri Journalism Students Tackle Learning Tennis Reporting in Foreign Culture
- Apr 03, 2018 Down to the Last Detail: Strategic Communication Students Plan Community Event for Vox Magazine
- Mar 16, 2018 Missouri Strategic Communication Students Plan and Conduct Regional Spelling Bee
- May 04, 2010 Tweets Initiate Conversation Between Strategic Communication Students and Ford Motor Company Executives
- Apr 29, 2010 Strategic Communication Major and Team Win DECA/ICDC International Entrepreneurial Challenge
- Mar 16, 2010 45 Strategic Communication Students Visit Chicago to Network, Learn about the Industry