Event Provided J-Schoolers with Real Work Experience in PR, Event Planning and Promotion
By Nate Brown
Reynolds Journalism Institute
Columbia, Mo. (March 16, 2018) — The highlight of 13-year-old Lauren Holsapple’s day was winning the Columbia Missourian Regional Scripps National Spelling Bee, which was held March 13 at the Missouri School of Journalism.
The best part of instructor Lauren Eisleben‘s day? Hearing one of her Missouri Journalism students say, “This is the best project I’ve ever done in the J-School.”
While third- through eighth-graders were spelling words aloud such as “gradient” and “mathematics,” a team of 12 strategic communication students from Eisleben’s event planning course was behind the scenes running the event.
The students held various positions such as event manager, graphic designer, strategy coordinator and spatial designer. Classmates from Vox Magazine helped to fill gaps, said Eisleben, serving as tour guides, parking attendants, ushers and registration coordinators.
“I was in charge of sponsorships, but I still got to help out with decorations and set up,” said senior Hannah Tow, who hopes to have a career in event marketing after graduation. “We learned very quickly that everyone needed to have a hand in everything to make the event as successful as can be.”
Fifty elementary and middle school students from mid-Missouri competed in the regional bee, which was hosted by Columbia Missourian editors.
“Planning and executing this event gave the students invaluable, real work experience as it pertains to public relations and event planning and promotion,” said Eisleben. “This course is so applicable and relevant to the students because it encompasses all aspects of strategic communication. It is a perfect example of the Missouri Method at work and working alongside other emphasis areas within the Journalism School.”
Eisleben’s favorite moments included seeing the standing-room-only crowd in Fisher Auditorium, speaking with nervous parents, and “watching my students really dive into all the details of the event. They thought of things I would’ve never thought to review and plan.”
The spelling bee also was a great opportunity to welcome future Tigers to Mizzou and the Journalism School, she said.
Eisleben’s class totals 26 students. The other 14 are working on Columbia Grown, a farm-to-table event that Vox Magazine is hosting in April.
“My goal as a teacher is to not only teach concepts, but to help students learn to apply them in their professional lives,” she said. “I’m proud of every graduate of the J-School, but my hope is that those graduates truly enjoyed their experience as students in the School of Journalism.”
Updated: August 15, 2019
- Dec 11, 2019 Hilton executive meets with Missouri School of Journalism students to share his journey to a data-driven career
- Nov 08, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Strategic Communication students attend Publicis Multicultural Talent Pipeline conference
- Oct 21, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Professor Margaret Duffy presents research at Oxford University
- Aug 26, 2019 Ericson - BJ '04, MA '05 - Harnesses Twin Passions of PR, CMV Foundation
- Apr 16, 2019 Journalism Professor named Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Advertising
- Mar 08, 2019 Columbia Missourian to Host Scripps Regional Spelling Bee March 13 on the MU Campus
- Feb 25, 2019 The 2018 ADCOLOR FUTURES Class Welcomes Three MU Grads
- Feb 25, 2019 Strategic Communication Students Discuss Their Accelerated MA Program Experience
- Dec 07, 2018 Pri-MO Events Students Lead Columbia Community in a Night of Celebration
- Oct 05, 2018 Leading by Learning: Frank Corridori
- Sep 05, 2018 Sports and Entertainment Promotion Class to Develop Brand Campaign for The Basketball League
- May 02, 2018 Strategic Communication Students Unmask Child Abuse by Planning and Executing Masquerade Ball
- Apr 23, 2018 Missouri Students Support Local Nonprofit by Planning Annual Masquerade Ball
- Apr 03, 2018 Down to the Last Detail: Strategic Communication Students Plan Community Event for Vox Magazine
- Mar 16, 2018 Missouri Strategic Communication Students Plan and Conduct Regional Spelling Bee
- Nov 20, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Seinga Macauley
- Oct 12, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Devan Collins
- Apr 29, 2016 Strategic Communication Awards Show 2016: A Night In Vegas
- Mar 31, 2016 STRANjERS: Eva López
- Mar 17, 2016 Strategic Communication Career Fair Attracts Top National Agencies
- Mar 14, 2016 STRANjERS: Ross Terrell
- Nov 29, 2012 Strategic Communication Team Places Fourth, Wins $1,500 in Adobe Digital Analytics Competition
- May 07, 2012 Stephanie Meyers Is the First Online Master's Recipient of a Synor Scholarship
- May 07, 2012 Strategic Communication Students Participate in Award-Winning Mindfire Program
- Apr 10, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism, HCD Research Partner to Offer Advanced Communication Science Services
- Mar 09, 2012 Strategic Communication Students Visit New York City Ad/PR Agencies and Companies
- Mar 06, 2012 Strategic Communication Senior Earns Two ADDY Student Awards from the AAF Kansas City Chapter
- May 04, 2010 Tweets Initiate Conversation Between Strategic Communication Students and Ford Motor Company Executives
- Apr 29, 2010 Missouri's Strategic Communication Researchers Rank No. 1 in Advertising Publications
- Mar 16, 2010 45 Strategic Communication Students Visit Chicago to Network, Learn about the Industry
- Dec 05, 2007 Strategic Communication Students Join Professionals to Set Record Sales
- Aug 24, 2007 Online Master's Degree Students Visit Campus for Three-Day Seminar
- May 22, 2007 Four Mizzou Seniors Conduct Historic Preservation Survey for Course Final
- Mar 02, 2007 Seven Learning, Networking Sessions in Two Days: Fast-Paced Trip to New York Inspires, Motivates Strategic Communication Students