By Lauren Walsh
Columbia, Mo. (March 16, 2010) — “Take advantage of any opportunity to get into the game,” noted Karen Sauder, BJ ’90, as she welcomed 45 Missouri School of Journalism strategic communication students to DraftFCB Chicago. Sauder, who serves as the agency’s managing director, also told the students that this is a very exciting time to be in the industry.
The visit to DraftFCB was the first of eight that the group would make to advertising and public relations agencies and related programs on Feb. 25-26.
Crain’s Business Journal, Hill and Knowlton and Hodge Schindler Integrated Communications rounded out Thursday’s schedule. On Friday the group started the day at Wrigley Field to learn about marketing efforts for the Chicago Cubs. This was followed by stops at The Integer Group, Ketchum and Ogilvy & Mather advertising and public relations.
“Trips like this permit students to observe first hand how real-world communications companies operate,” said Professor Suzette Heiman, who organized the trip.
In planning the schedule, Heiman said the goal was to have each visit be unique, to present something new or different from the other visits.
One take-away from DraftFCB was “6.5,” the average engagement time to capture someone’s attention. At Crain’s, Charlie Thompson, BJ ’82, encouraged students to ask the “which means what” question, to make sure that the communication is clear and tailored to the audience.
Hill and Knowlton’s Michael Kontos gave an overview of the Olympics’ complex organizational infrastructure, highlighting to students what the agency needed to understand to prepare Chicago’s recent bid for the 2016 games. Sally Hodge shared an owner’s view of working at a small public relations agency.
Matt Wszolek spoke about the magic of Wrigley Field and how the communications team integrates this concept into marketing efforts for the Chicago Cubs. Christen Terry, BJ ’02, and Hannah Davis, BJ ’08, spoke about how Integer’s work intersects branding and selling.
At Ketchum, students broke up into small groups to learn about specific areas such as word of mouth, brand, social media, corporate/healthcare and research. Linda Eatherton, BJ ’72, partner and director for global food and nutrition, greeted the group, and shared that, “it’s all about relationships.”
In both the advertising and public relations presentations at Ogilvy & Mather, students were encouraged to know as much as possible about their clients’ business.
Many Missouri journalism alumni helped arrange the visits and participated in the sessions.
“We truly appreciate the incredible support of our alumni and their colleagues for all that they did for us,” Heiman said. “They generously shared their time, insights and knowledge. All of us are very grateful to them.”
Updated: May 7, 2020
- Dec 17, 2019 Missouri journalism team helps public health agencies tell stories about opioids, abuse of the drugs
- Dec 11, 2019 Hilton executive meets with Missouri School of Journalism students to share his journey to a data-driven career
- Dec 10, 2019 MOJO Ad presents 2020 State of the YAYA: Under No Illusion
- Nov 08, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Strategic Communication students attend Publicis Multicultural Talent Pipeline conference
- Oct 21, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Professor Margaret Duffy presents research at Oxford University
- Aug 26, 2019 Ericson - BJ '04, MA '05 - Harnesses Twin Passions of PR, CMV Foundation
- Feb 25, 2019 Strategic Communication Students Discuss Their Accelerated MA Program Experience
- Dec 07, 2018 Pri-MO Events Students Lead Columbia Community in a Night of Celebration
- Oct 05, 2018 Leading by Learning: Frank Corridori
- Sep 24, 2018 Humans of Strat Comm: Kelsie Wilkins
- Sep 05, 2018 Sports and Entertainment Promotion Class to Develop Brand Campaign for The Basketball League
- Apr 18, 2018 Alumni Profile: Dylan Connell
- Apr 03, 2018 Down to the Last Detail: Strategic Communication Students Plan Community Event for Vox Magazine
- Mar 16, 2018 Missouri Strategic Communication Students Plan and Conduct Regional Spelling Bee
- Nov 20, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Seinga Macauley
- Oct 18, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Erin Ceaser
- Oct 12, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Devan Collins
- Sep 11, 2016 Alumni Profile: Christianna Weiss
- May 11, 2016 Alumni Profile: Brandon Butcher
- Mar 31, 2016 STRANjERS: Eva López
- Mar 14, 2016 STRANjERS: Ross Terrell