A 14-member student team from instructor Lauren Eisleben’s event planning course took care of all details to host Columbia Grown, selling sponsorships, hiring a chef and collecting donated food from local farmers.
By Jennifer Nelson
Reynolds Journalism Institute
UPDATED April 4, 2018: Due to a forecast of continued cold weather, this event has been moved indoors to the Reynolds Journalism Institute, 401 South Ninth St.
Planning for a farm-to-table event for the Columbia, Missouri, community started in a University of Missouri classroom. The student’s work will “bear fruit” April 7, during Columbia Grown, an event held at Reynolds Journalism Institute, 401 South Ninth St. in Columbia.
A 14-member student team from instructor Lauren Eisleben‘s event planning course has spent class and free time this semester selling sponsorships, hiring chef Melissa Poelling of 44 Canteen and collecting donated food from local farmers. They also have been collaborating with student staff from event host Vox Magazine on promotional efforts for the event.
“I’m excited to see what I see in my head come to life,” says senior Rewdjety Redick, who is a spatial designer for the event.
Redick’s role has been co-designing the layout of the event to fit the venue with Amanda Logan. This includes mapping the venue layout to provide optimal comfort, strategically placing tents where people will eat, organizing seating arrangements and setting up the live entertainment area, says Eisleben.
Students were selected for various event planning positions including assistant event manager, production managers, strategy coordinators and graphic designers based on any previous experience and their interests, says Eisleben.
“Everyone is encouraged to do what they enjoy because one of my goals as a teacher is for them to enjoy their experience,” she says.
Columbia Grown is the first event Redick has helped plan, but she says she’s come to love her design role after getting ideas from watching HGTV and incorporating them in her own planning.
As president of the student-run Sustain Mizzou, senior Megan Tyminski has helped plan several events at MU including beekeeping classes, stream clean-ups and day camps. But as the co-event manager of Columbia Grown, she says this is the first event she’s planned with such a large event planning staff. This has presented challenges and learning opportunities, she says. Emily Ladig is the other co-event manager.
“There’s a lot more working together and having to bounce ideas off people,” Tyminski says. “It has been challenging to find time to meet and delegate in a way that works for everyone…Google Docs help.”
The students’ work won’t be finished until after the event is over. Eisleben says all the students will put in at least eight hours on the day of the event as they help with decorating, cleaning, helping vendors unload and assisting with ticket management.
Eisleben’s class also includes a team of students who recently planned and executed a regional spelling bee. This group will help out on the day of the event, as well.
Columbia Grown is also providing other Missouri School of Journalism students with “Missouri Method” hands-on, real-world experience. Vox Magazine editors and writers have been producing a farm-to-table special section ahead of the event and promoting the event on various digital platforms. Photographers and reporters will also be covering the event.
Vox Editorial Director Heather Lamb says the event is also a good opportunity to get the magazine and University of Missouri journalists out in the community and engaging with people.
“It’s becoming more and more common that media companies are getting into events, which makes sense because it’s a way of connecting to the community,” says Lamb. “Let’s invite the readers to something we think that they would like. We know our readers really like food content.”
Tickets can be purchased for $65 until April 4 at Voxmagazine.com. The ticket price includes a four-course Italian meal, happy hour drinks, live band, beer and wine pairings and CCUA staff-provided tours of the center grounds. Food vendors will also be joining attendees at the tables to share information about their business or local food sourcing, says Eisleben.
Updated: October 30, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 24, 2020 The Missouri School of Journalism and Vox Magazine students win 6 awards, 3 honorable mentions in national contest
- May 18, 2020 Missouri Journalism students present 5G solutions to real-world problems for AT&T as part of a multidisciplinary initiative
- Apr 28, 2020 School of Journalism students, AAF receive advice on finding jobs and internships in the age of COVID-19
- Jan 27, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism students lead the Columbia Missourian's yearly Progress Awards
- Dec 17, 2019 Missouri journalism team helps public health agencies tell stories about opioids, abuse of the drugs
- Dec 11, 2019 Hilton executive meets with Missouri School of Journalism students to share his journey to a data-driven career
- Nov 08, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Strategic Communication students attend Publicis Multicultural Talent Pipeline conference
- Oct 21, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Professor Margaret Duffy presents research at Oxford University
- Aug 26, 2019 Ericson - BJ '04, MA '05 - Harnesses Twin Passions of PR, CMV Foundation
- May 17, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Students Gain Hands-On Experience Working for Fee-Based Clients
- Apr 16, 2019 Journalism Professor named Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Advertising
- Mar 08, 2019 Columbia Missourian to Host Scripps Regional Spelling Bee March 13 on the MU Campus
- Feb 25, 2019 Strategic Communication Students Discuss Their Accelerated MA Program Experience
- Dec 07, 2018 Pri-MO Events Students Lead Columbia Community in a Night of Celebration
- Oct 04, 2018 Journalism Student Madison Lawson, KBIA-FM Both Winners of the 2018 Lee Henson Access Mizzou Award
- Sep 05, 2018 Sports and Entertainment Promotion Class to Develop Brand Campaign for The Basketball League
- May 02, 2018 Strategic Communication Students Unmask Child Abuse by Planning and Executing Masquerade Ball
- Apr 27, 2018 Student Teams at CDiG Competition Offer Real-World Industry Solutions
- Apr 23, 2018 Missouri Students Support Local Nonprofit by Planning Annual Masquerade Ball
- Apr 18, 2018 Alumni Profile: Dylan Connell
- Apr 03, 2018 Down to the Last Detail: Strategic Communication Students Plan Community Event for Vox Magazine
- Mar 16, 2018 Missouri Strategic Communication Students Plan and Conduct Regional Spelling Bee
- Dec 07, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Magazine Program Gives Students Creative Freedom
- Oct 18, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Erin Ceaser
- Oct 12, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Devan Collins
- Jul 22, 2016 Alumni Spotlight: Lauren Steele
- Jul 07, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Michael Gomon
- May 11, 2016 Alumni Profile: Brandon Butcher
- Apr 29, 2016 Strategic Communication Awards Show 2016: A Night In Vegas
- Mar 31, 2016 STRANjERS: Eva López
- Mar 17, 2016 Strategic Communication Career Fair Attracts Top National Agencies
- Nov 29, 2012 Strategic Communication Team Places Fourth, Wins $1,500 in Adobe Digital Analytics Competition
- May 07, 2012 Stephanie Meyers Is the First Online Master's Recipient of a Synor Scholarship
- May 07, 2012 Strategic Communication Students Participate in Award-Winning Mindfire Program
- Apr 10, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism, HCD Research Partner to Offer Advanced Communication Science Services
- Mar 09, 2012 Strategic Communication Students Visit New York City Ad/PR Agencies and Companies
- Sep 17, 2010 Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes Fall 2010 Students
- May 04, 2010 Tweets Initiate Conversation Between Strategic Communication Students and Ford Motor Company Executives
- Apr 29, 2010 Missouri's Strategic Communication Researchers Rank No. 1 in Advertising Publications
- Apr 29, 2010 Strategic Communication Major and Team Win DECA/ICDC International Entrepreneurial Challenge
- Mar 16, 2010 45 Strategic Communication Students Visit Chicago to Network, Learn about the Industry
- Jun 25, 2004 Magazine Faculty Member Receives Campus Teaching Award
- May 18, 2004 Journalism Students Visit Clinton Retailers
- Apr 18, 2004 Journalism Student Wins National Design Contest
- Apr 07, 2004 Journalism Alumnus Has Guided Fleishman-Hillard's Growth from Small Local Agency to Global Leader
- Feb 16, 2004 Larry Powell Joins Missouri School of Journalism Faculty