National Contest Recognizes Excellence in Professional Sports Writing
Columbia, Mo. (March 6, 2019) — The Columbia Missourian and 16 Missouri School of Journalism sports reporters have received Top 10 recognition from the Associated Press Sports Editors competition for work produced in 2018. Professional sports editors and journalists from across the nation selected the winners during four days of judging in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.
The national contest recognizes excellence in professional sports writing. The Missourian competed in Category D, which includes publications with circulations of less than 30,000. The top five in each writing category will be announced at a later date.
The Columbia Missourian has won more than four-dozen APSE awards in the past 10 years.
“The real winners here are the sports fans of Columbia, for whom this work was done,” said Michael Knisley, assistant professor and sports editor for the Missourian. “The Missourian’s reporters and photographers and videographers and editors who contributed to the making of these stories take seriously their mission to serve the community with their coverage. That they do it so successfully in a real-world, deadline-driven professional environment – as full-time Missouri School of Journalism students – is a testament to that commitment.”
The Columbia Missourian is a digital-first, community newspaper supervised by professional editors and staffed by Missouri School of Journalism students who do the reporting, design, copy editing, information graphics, photography and multimedia.
The Missourian was named one of the Top 10 Overall for digital publications, Top Five for the Sunday section, and received Honorable Mentions for daily sections and special section for Tiger Kickoff.
Student winners for the 2018 APSE awards are as follows:
- Action Photo: Jenna Kieser, Dennis Dudley of Columbia Draws His Bow Back
- Feature Photo: Antranik Tavitian, Battle High School’s Ethan Wiedmier, Keesean Payne and DaleShawn Coleman Sit in the Locker Room at Halftime
- Breaking News: Reed Koutelas and David Sack, ‘A Brutal Blow;’ Reactions to Jontay Porter’s Season Ending Injury
- Explanatory: Hannah Hoffmeister, Girls Wrestling: Missouri’s Fastest-Growing Sport You Didn’t See Coming
- Explanatory: Eli Lederman, ‘Sometimes It’s Not in Our Hands:’ MU Looks Within – and to the Past – to Ensure Player Safety
- Beat Writing: Eli Lederman, for his work covering the University of Missouri football team.
- Game Story: Brendan Lavell, Missouri Seniors Bid Faurot Farewell with Shutout of Arkansas
- Multimedia: Will Jarvis and Alec Lewis, Michael Porter Jr.’s Journey: A Timeline
- Video: Liv Paggiarino, Friday Night Symmetry
- Video: Cameron La Fontaine and Joey Schneider, Baseball and Life Lessons
- Projects: Ryan Herrera, Matt Antonic, Langston Newsome and Jake Sutherlin, for their series on high school football participation numbers last fall.
- Football on the Defensive: Columbia Schools Fight Declining National Numbers
- Football on the Defensive: Rock Bridge Stifles Falling Numbers by Encouraging Dual-Sport Involvement
- Football on the Defensive: Tolton’s Sustaining Solution? Teaching the Intangibles
- Football on the Defensive: Battle Finds Positives After Losing Freshmen Program
- Football on the Defensive: Past Provides Clues on How to Rebuild Hickman’s Program
APSE, founded in 1974, is based at the Indiana University National Sports Journalism Center. The organization strives to improve professional standards for sports departments of professional news organizations and to recognize excellence among its membership.
Updated: August 26, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 18, 2018 Association for Women in Sports Media Names Mizzou Student Devin Kane an 'AWSM Scholar'
- Nov 06, 2018 Journalism Students Learn How to 'Get in the Game' of Sports Journalism, Promotions at Recent Event
- Sep 19, 2018 Missourian Wins 64 Missouri Press Association Awards
- Sep 05, 2018 Sports and Entertainment Promotion Class to Develop Brand Campaign for The Basketball League
- Jul 11, 2018 ESPN Veteran Michael Knisley to Lead Columbia Missourian Sports Coverage
- Jun 11, 2018 Mizzou Students Take Three of Top 10 Spots in Second Annual APSE Contest
- Jan 24, 2018 Senior Tashan Reed Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- May 31, 2017 Big Data and Sports, Missouri Reception: School to Host 2 Sessions at AEJMC in Chicago
- May 25, 2017 Morgan Cook, MA '08, Named San Diego Journalist of the Year
- May 23, 2017 Junior Wins Nation's Most Outstanding Collegiate Sports Broadcaster Award
- Apr 04, 2017 Missourian Reporters Win Top Associated Press Sports Editors Awards
- Mar 14, 2017 From Denmark to Missouri: Doctoral Candidate Reflects on Studying Journalism Here
- Feb 22, 2017 Association for Women in Sports Media Members Attend National Conference
- Jan 26, 2017 Senior Colton Pouncy Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Dec 21, 2015 Junior Aaron Reiss Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Oct 12, 2015 AdZou Team Travels to LA After Winning Inaugural Fox Sports University Competition
- Aug 04, 2015 Junior Aaron Reiss Wins $5,000 National Sports Journalism Scholarship
- Jul 20, 2015 Blind Journalism Student Brings Mizzou Sports Alive on Radio
- Apr 15, 2015 Missouri Wins Top Association of Women in Sports Media Honor