Student Team’s Proposal Assists Fox Sports Production and Marketing Efforts
By Patrick LeBeau
Columbia, Mo. (Oct. 12, 2015) — A team of AdZou students from the Missouri School of Journalism traveled to Los Angeles on Aug. 7-8 after winning the Fox Sports University strategic campaign competition. The team beat out 15 other teams from three other universities. AdZou is a strategic communication capstone course taught at the Missouri School of Journalism.
At the end of the 2015 spring semester, the AdZou team pitched Fox Sports executives their campaign suggestions, which consisted of a filmed news broadcast that covered their research methods and insights, creative suggestions and communication strategies, all presented in an original and engaging manner.
“The experience with Fox Sports Live was so unique because of how much they trusted us, as students, to create something for them,” said Colleen Barry, a member of the winning AdZou team. “Fox Sports wanted us to be creative, and they gave us total control. It was a real confidence boost to have that trust and freedom.”
Barry and her AdZou team were selected as the winner of the competition and rewarded with a trip, paid for by Fox Sports, to their studios in Los Angeles in August. The team sat in on production and marketing meetings to offer their contributions and ideas to the rest of the Fox Sports management team.
Four members from the six-person team – Barry, Michelle Hantak, Bryndon Minter and Sarah Morris – were also featured in an on-air segment of the show Fox Sports Live. The show is a sports news television program that features notable sports highlights, breaking sports news and in-depth team and player analysis, all with a take of the lighter side of sports news. Adjunct professor and AdZou capstone instructor Scott Fuenfhausen accompanied the students on the trip as well. Team members Luke Wiersma and Jordan Santo were unable to make the trip.
“I was blown away by how welcoming everyone at Fox Sports was,” Fuenfhausen said. “They constantly asked the team’s opinion about the production and their communication plan.”
This year’s efforts marked the fifth year that AdZou students have worked on projects for Fox Sports University, a nationwide program consisting of 28 universities that work to solve real-world challenges that face Fox Sports and its programming and marketing divisions.
Updated: September 10, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 19, 2019 Athlead student team wins Fox Sports University challenge after being tasked with getting casual Fox viewer interested in boxing
- May 29, 2019 Students Gain Hands-On Experience Developing Campaigns to Attract Audiences to Boxing
- May 17, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Students Gain Hands-On Experience Working for Fee-Based Clients
- Mar 06, 2019 Columbia Missourian Sports Section Scores Big with Associated Press Sports Editors Awards
- Jan 16, 2019 Journalism Students Provided Coverage of Liberty Bowl to Media Outlets Across Missouri
- Nov 09, 2018 Journalism School Team's Award-Winning Project Inspires Ocean Spray Ad Campaign
- Nov 06, 2018 Journalism Students Learn How to 'Get in the Game' of Sports Journalism, Promotions at Recent Event
- Oct 23, 2018 Missouri Journalism Students Tackle Learning Tennis Reporting in Foreign Culture
- Jul 27, 2018 Students Bring Home the Gold in Fox Sports University Competition
- Apr 20, 2018 Strategic Communication Students Win 1st Place at NSAC Districts
- Dec 11, 2017 Rachel Blount, MA '86, Talks Sports Journalism
- Sep 26, 2017 Students Get Top Marks from Fox Sports University Experience
- May 23, 2017 Junior Wins Nation's Most Outstanding Collegiate Sports Broadcaster Award
- Apr 20, 2017 New 'Inside Sports' Feature Is Available on Twitter, Blog and Video
- Apr 10, 2017 School of Journalism Students Coordinate Public Health Effort with State
- Apr 04, 2017 Missourian Reporters Win Top Associated Press Sports Editors Awards
- Feb 08, 2017 AdZou Students Gets Behind-the-Scenes Look at Super Bowl LI Preparations
- Jan 26, 2017 Senior Colton Pouncy Selected for National Sports Journalism Institute
- Dec 12, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Big Opportunities in Beijing
- Oct 25, 2016 Students Learn from Agency Professionals at Chicago Conference
- Sep 29, 2016 St. Louis Cardinals Partner with Sports and Entertainment Promotions for New Promotional Strategy
- Apr 15, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Alise Murawski
- Mar 19, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Tim Ryan
- Mar 01, 2016 Missouri Students Team Up with Associated Press to Produce Virtual Reality View of the New York City Subway
- Feb 19, 2016 Strategic Communication Capstone Courses Set New Enrollment Record
- Oct 12, 2015 AdZou Team Travels to LA After Winning Inaugural Fox Sports University Competition
- Jul 28, 2015 AdZou Team Completes Its First International Assignment
- Jun 10, 2015 AdZou Wins First FOX Sports University Intercollegiate Competition
- Apr 15, 2015 Missouri Wins Top Association of Women in Sports Media Honor