Team’s Market Research, Ideas for FOX Sports Flagship Show Beat Out 3 Other Universities
Columbia, Mo. (June 10, 2015) — An AdZou team is the winner of the first-ever FOX Sports University intercollegiate competition, FOX Sports officials recently announced. AdZou is a strategic communication capstone course at the Missouri School of Journalism.
“The students at Mizzou were the most creative, forward thinkers. The presentations were clever, smart and sometimes comedic. One group even had two students dressed to look exactly like our anchors, Jay Onrait and Dan O’Toole. Most importantly, the ideas were sound, realistic and based upon impressive research,” said Jason Cahill, coordinating producer of FOX Sports Live.
The winning group, Pick Six – comprised of Colleen Barry, Michelle Hantak, Bryndon Mintor, Sarah Morris, Jordan Santo and Luke Wiersma – will be invited to attend a live production of FOX Sports Live in Los Angeles and meet with executives from FOX Sports this summer.
In the spring semester, Missouri and three other universities were challenged to present fresh, out-of-the-box ideas to engage millennials interested in sports highlights and news shows. Students were to watch, research and provide insights from their peers on FOX Sports Live, FOX Sports 1’s flagship sports news show. The nightly show combines highlights, breaking sports news and analysis with a touch of humor.
This was the fifth year adjunct professor Scott Fuenfhausen guided AdZou students in projects for FOX Sports University, a nationwide program that now spans 28 universities, providing real-world challenges that touch FOX Sports businesses.
Competition for the seats in the FOX Sports University section of the AdZou course was high.
“We implemented an application process and received double the amount of applications we had seats for,” said Fuenfhausen. “It’s an unbelievable experience for the students. I am thrilled to work with FSU every single year.”
At the end of the semester each group presented their findings and recommendations in creative and entertaining formats to a panel of FOX Sports executives, including Cahill; Michael Mulvihill, senior vice president of programming, research and content strategy; and Kaitlyn Beale, manager of strategic partnerships. Mulvihill earned his bachelor of arts degree in communication from the University of Missouri in 1994.
“As a Mizzou alum I could not have been prouder of the quality of the work that we saw, the creativity the students brought to the projects or the fearlessness of their presentation,” Mulvihill said. “I’m thrilled that Mizzou is participating in FOX Sports University and congratulate all the groups on their tremendous work.”
Updated: September 8, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 19, 2019 Athlead student team wins Fox Sports University challenge after being tasked with getting casual Fox viewer interested in boxing
- May 29, 2019 Students Gain Hands-On Experience Developing Campaigns to Attract Audiences to Boxing
- May 17, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Students Gain Hands-On Experience Working for Fee-Based Clients
- Nov 09, 2018 Journalism School Team's Award-Winning Project Inspires Ocean Spray Ad Campaign
- Jul 11, 2018 ESPN veteran Michael Knisley to lead Columbia Missourian sports coverage
- Apr 20, 2018 Strategic Communication Students Win 1st Place at NSAC Districts
- Mar 15, 2018 University of Missouri Student Journalists Prepare to Cover Mizzou Tigers at NCAA Tournaments
- Sep 26, 2017 Students Get Top Marks from Fox Sports University Experience
- May 23, 2017 Junior Wins Nation's Most Outstanding Collegiate Sports Broadcaster Award
- May 03, 2017 Mizzou Alumnus Vahe Gregorian, MA '88, Talks Sports Journalism
- Apr 20, 2017 New 'Inside Sports' Feature Is Available on Twitter, Blog and Video
- Apr 10, 2017 School of Journalism Students Coordinate Public Health Effort with State
- Apr 04, 2017 Missourian Reporters Win Top Associated Press Sports Editors Awards
- Feb 08, 2017 AdZou Students Gets Behind-the-Scenes Look at Super Bowl LI Preparations
- Dec 12, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Big Opportunities in Beijing
- Oct 31, 2016 Where Are They Now? Morgan Uber, BJ '15
- Sep 29, 2016 St. Louis Cardinals Partner with Sports and Entertainment Promotions for New Promotional Strategy
- Apr 15, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Alise Murawski
- Mar 19, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Tim Ryan
- Mar 01, 2016 Missouri Students Team Up with Associated Press to Produce Virtual Reality View of the New York City Subway
- Feb 19, 2016 Strategic Communication Capstone Courses Set New Enrollment Record
- Oct 12, 2015 AdZou Team Travels to LA After Winning Inaugural Fox Sports University Competition
- Jul 28, 2015 AdZou Team Completes Its First International Assignment
- Jun 10, 2015 AdZou Wins First FOX Sports University Intercollegiate Competition
- May 18, 2015 Work of Strategic Communication Students Celebrated at Awards Ceremony
- Dec 16, 2014 NewsPro-RTDNA Poll Ranks Missouri as the No. 1 School of Journalism
- Sep 19, 2014 Fox Sports Midwest Airs TV Commercial Idea Created by AdZou Students
- May 27, 2014 Campaign Group Develops 'Team STL' Branding Campaign for Fox Sports
- May 08, 2014 Strategic Communication Awards Celebrate Excellence and Achievements
- Dec 17, 2013 News Professionals Select Missouri as the Top J-School in the Country
- Oct 18, 2013 AdZou Helps the Pettis County Health Center Rebrand Its Image
- Sep 23, 2013 AdZou Launches New Website with Improved Features for Clients and Students
- Apr 22, 2013 Fox Sports and Missouri School of Journalism Partner to Develop Campaign to Promote FIFA World Cup