The ‘We Are Team STL’ Spot Features Cardinal, Blues and Rams Players, Announcers
By Caroline Murray
Columbia, Mo. (Sept. 19, 2014) — Television advertisements featuring the St. Louis Cardinals, Blues and Rams developed by strategic communication students will premiere on Fox Sports Midwest on Friday, Sept. 19.
Missouri School of Journalism students Paige Ebert, Kelly Gallagher, Maggie Omastiak, Anna Petrow, Sydney Trepel and Courtney Weissman, all BJ ’14, crafted the idea for the spot as part of the Fox Sports University program, a partnership between Fox Sports and academic institutions around the country. In the spring 2014 semester, the AdZou students developed the campaign as part of Adjunct Instructor Scott Fuenfhausen‘s capstone class, and they pitched their ideas in competition with three other teams from the course. Fox Sports Midwest executives selected the winning campaign in May.
Over the summer Fox Sports Midwest, with input from the Cardinals, Blues and Rams, refined the creative concept and developed plans for executing it. An advertising and production agency, under the direction of Fox Sports Midwest, shot and edited the spots in September.
In the television spots, Cardinals, Blues and Rams players and Fox Sports Midwest announcers express their passion for playing in, and contributing to, the region.
“The Mizzou students in the Fox Sports University program created a campaign where the players and TV announcers speak from their hearts and their personal passion is evident,” said David Pokorny, marketing director of Fox Sports Midwest. “You see that they want the best for St. Louis.”
Weissman and her teammate Trepel took part in the shoot with the Cardinals. Over the course of the five-hour shoot, Trepel and Weissman met Fox Sports executives, advertising agency representatives, producers and even a Cardinals player.
“One of the highlights was getting introduced to Matt Holliday and shaking his hand,” Weissman said.
Neither Trepel nor Weissman had ever been to a television shoot before, and they both said the shoot was a great learning experience.
“It’s incredible how much work goes on behind the scenes before the shoot even begins that you don’t realize until you actually see it,” Trepel said. “It was also interesting how, especially with sports, plans for the shoot could change in a matter of minutes.”
The students’ campaign, “We Are Team STL,” expands the existing hashtag #TeamSTL beyond social media. #TeamSTL was created by the St. Louis Cardinals, Blues and Rams in 2013 as a way for the teams to showcase support for one another, and soon fans also embraced the hashtag as a way to show their pride in St. Louis sports and the community.
Both Trepel and Weissman said creating the campaign was an experience that helped them prepare for “the real world.”
“Having the opportunity to be so hands-on with something beyond the normal classroom environment was incredibly eye-opening and so much more than I could have expected,” Trepel said.
Updated: July 30, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 19, 2019 Athlead student team wins Fox Sports University challenge after being tasked with getting casual Fox viewer interested in boxing
- May 29, 2019 Students Gain Hands-On Experience Developing Campaigns to Attract Audiences to Boxing
- May 17, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Students Gain Hands-On Experience Working for Fee-Based Clients
- Nov 09, 2018 Journalism School Team's Award-Winning Project Inspires Ocean Spray Ad Campaign
- Nov 06, 2018 Journalism Students Learn How to 'Get in the Game' of Sports Journalism, Promotions at Recent Event
- Jul 27, 2018 Students Bring Home the Gold in Fox Sports University Competition
- Apr 20, 2018 Strategic Communication Students Win 1st Place at NSAC Districts
- Sep 26, 2017 Students Get Top Marks from Fox Sports University Experience
- May 23, 2017 Junior Wins Nation's Most Outstanding Collegiate Sports Broadcaster Award
- Apr 20, 2017 New 'Inside Sports' Feature Is Available on Twitter, Blog and Video
- Apr 10, 2017 School of Journalism Students Coordinate Public Health Effort with State
- Apr 04, 2017 Missourian Reporters Win Top Associated Press Sports Editors Awards
- Feb 08, 2017 AdZou Students Gets Behind-the-Scenes Look at Super Bowl LI Preparations
- Oct 12, 2015 AdZou Team Travels to LA After Winning Inaugural Fox Sports University Competition
- Jul 28, 2015 AdZou Team Completes Its First International Assignment
- Jun 10, 2015 AdZou Wins First FOX Sports University Intercollegiate Competition
- May 18, 2015 Work of Strategic Communication Students Celebrated at Awards Ceremony
- Feb 24, 2015 Students, Missourian Earn Awards in National Sports Editors Contest
- Feb 05, 2015 Seth Boster, Annie Dankelson Win Dean's Award for Sports Reporting
- Feb 05, 2015 Students Present Campaign Ideas to St. Louis Rams Executives