News Professionals Praise the Missouri Method of Real-World, Hands-On Training
Columbia, Mo. (Dec. 16, 2014) — For the second consecutive year, the Missouri School of Journalism is ranked “far and away” the No. 1 journalism school in the country in the 2014 NewsPro–Radio Television Digital News Association Top Journalism Schools survey.
“Survey: The Top 20 Journalism Schools 2014, Hundreds Extoll Virtues of Best Programs” was published in the December 2014 issue of NewsPro, the Magazine for News Professionals.
The survey cited the “Missouri Method,” which allows students to receive real-world, hands-on training in news media, as the primary reason for the No. 1 ranking. The School operates community-based, multiplatform news outlets: KOMU-TV, mid-Missouri’s NBC station; KBIA-FM, an NPR-member station; Columbia Missourian, a digital-first newspaper; Vox Magazine, a weekly city magazine; Missouri Business Alert, a statewide business journal; and Global Journalist, a converged newsroom that covers international issues. Strategic communication students develop comprehensive research-based campaigns for real clients at two agencies: MOJO Ad, which focuses on the 18-to-24 demographic, and AdZou.
The survey asked respondents why they selected a certain school as their top choice. According to the article, “responders were quite detailed in their answers. As can be expected, the Missouri School time and again won praise for its real-world approach. ‘The Missouri Method. You get real world, hands-on experience (and lots of it) before you even graduate,’ wrote one of the many school’s supporters.”
The survey was distributed on TVWeek.com and to members of RTDNA, with 673 respondents participating. Of this number, 42.8 percent indicated they were news professionals. Other respondents included non-news professionals, students and educators.
Following Missouri’s No. 1 ranking was the University of Georgia‘s Grady College of Journalism and Northwestern University‘s Medill School of Journalism and Mass Communication.
Updated: July 31, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 22, 2015 Missouri School of Journalism Voted No. 1 in Annual NewsPro-RTDNA Poll
- Dec 16, 2015 Radio Television Digital News Association Awards Scholarships to 2 Missouri Students
- Jun 10, 2015 AdZou Wins First FOX Sports University Intercollegiate Competition
- May 08, 2015 Why Students Should Understand How to Cover Trauma
- Apr 23, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award for Radio Documentary
- Mar 31, 2015 Media Entrepreneur to Open Upcoming Journalism Interactive Conference
- Dec 16, 2014 NewsPro-RTDNA Poll Ranks Missouri as the No. 1 School of Journalism
- Sep 29, 2014 Missourian, Vox Magazine Win Top Honors at Missouri Press Association
- Aug 08, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty, Staff Earn More than 500 Awards and Honors in 2013-14 Academic Year
- Jul 29, 2014 CollegeMagazine.com Ranks the Missouri School of Journalism No. 1
- Jul 28, 2014 Vox Magazine Wins 8 Awards in National Student Magazine Contest
- Mar 27, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students, Columbia Missourian Win 7 Awards in Associated Press Sports Editors Contest