NewsPro names Associate Professor Mark Horvit a 2019 Noteworthy Journalism Educator
Associate Professor Mark Horvit was named one of Journalism’s top 10 educators in the nation for his dedication to investigative journalism.
Columbia, Mo. (Jan. 28, 2019) — Missouri School of Journalism Associate Professor Mark Horvit was named one of 10 journalism’s top educators in the nation for his dedication to investigative journalism.
Crain’s NewsPro named Horvit a 2019 Noteworthy Journalism Educator. The winners were nominated by readers and members of the Radio Television Digital News Association, the Society of Environmental Journalists and the Broadcast Education Association.
Crain’s NewsPro Reporter Dinah Eng writes Horvit was “honored for his dedication to the importance of investigative journalism and as a tough editor who makes the students work hard to get it right but then celebrates their successes. He’s a great watchdog for government, but has not become cynical from years of covering it.”
Horvit teaches investigative reporting and is director of the School’s State Government Reporting Program. He previously served as executive director of Investigative Reporters and Editors (IRE) and the National Institute for Computer-Assisted Reporting (NICAR), where he conducted training in investigative reporting and data journalism throughout the world. Before joining IRE, Horvit worked as a reporter and editor for 20 years at newspapers, including the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, the Charlotte Observer, Columbia Daily Tribune and the Houston Post.
“Mark is a dedicated teacher whose leadership as director of the School’s State Government Reporting program has provided Capitol news to papers across the state who would otherwise have no coverage due to lack of staff,” said Journalism Dean David Kurpius. “This is a well-deserved honor for Mark for his commitment to our students, our School and our university.”
Updated: June 15, 2021
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jul 24, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Launches New Investigative Fellowship Program To Support Authors
- Jun 04, 2019 Hands-On Investigative Reporting Project Leads Missouri Attorney General to Launch New Probe
- Apr 24, 2019 Graduate Student Dan Schwartz is 2019 Smith/Patterson Science Journalism Fellow
- Apr 18, 2019 Professor Emeritus receives distinguished service to broadcast journalism award
- Feb 25, 2019 Journalism students gain hands-on experience while providing statehouse coverage to news outlets across the state
- Jan 28, 2019 NewsPro names Associate Professor Mark Horvit a 2019 Noteworthy Journalism Educator
- Dec 06, 2018 Senior Kaitlin Washburn Receives $1,000 Jane Geisse Scholarship in Investigative Reporting
- Oct 30, 2018 Tessa Weinberg Named the 26th David Kaplan Fellow, Will Work at ABC News Washington Bureau
- Jun 29, 2018 Workshop Equips High Schoolers with Investigative Reporting Skills
- Jun 08, 2018 After Missouri Governor Resigns, Missourian Reporters Tell Underclassmen How They Covered One of the Biggest Stories of the Year
- Nov 02, 2016 Alumna to Share Inner Workings of Investigative Journalists
- May 10, 2016 Alumna Leads 'Panama Papers' Investigation, Shares Project with Students
- Apr 07, 2016 Asian-American Journalists Association Students Interview Lead Investigative Editor
- Mar 24, 2016 Mark Horvit to Lead School's State Government Reporting Program