Associate Professor Amy Simons has won the Mizzou Online Excellence in Online Class Facilitation award. A J-School faculty member since August 2010, her work as an instructor of digital journalism techniques has taken her to China and the European Union.
The award recognizes a faculty member who excels in facilitating an online learning experience that supports high-quality student-to-student and faculty-to-student interaction, increases social rapport among students, and requires students to work together to achieve learning outcomes.
“This is such an honor! Teaching in an online-only environment has been such a challenge for me during the past year or so, learning how to connect with students in a brand-new way,” said Simons. “I am excited to have the space to experiment and bring new online learning opportunities to our School in the coming months and years.”
Simons currently teaches one undergraduate online course on The News Media: Journalism and Advertising in a Democratic Society. She also teachers two online courses – Participatory Journalism and Online Audience Development – for the masters and graduate certificate program.
“Amy is a vital member of our online teaching staff. Not only is she a great teacher, but an excellent course content creator,” said Earnest Perry, dean of graduate studies. “She understands that students in the online environment need and expect something different than what they will get in the brick-and-mortar classroom.”
Simons joined the journalism faculty in August 2010. Her work has taken her to China and the European Union, teaching web-first workflows, mobile journalism techniques and how to use social media as a reporting tool and a means to disseminate journalistic content. Simons serves as the adviser to the School’s student organization, Mizzou Women in Media. Previously, she worked as a digital news editor for the Chicago Tribune.
Updated: November 18, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 13, 2020 Journalism Associate Professor Amy Simons awarded a Reynolds Faculty Fellowship
- Aug 14, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism Associate Professor Amy Simons receives MU Connect Champions award
- Feb 27, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism Associate Professor Amy Simons wins national Excellence in Teaching award
- Aug 28, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Launches Online Learning Tool to Help Teach Journalism, Strategic Communication to Junior High, High School Students
- May 07, 2019 Associate Professor Amy Simons Awarded 2019 Excellence in Online Class Facilitation Award
- Mar 22, 2019 6 Missouri Journalism Professors Awarded Hearst Faculty Fellowships
- Sep 08, 2016 School to Join National Reporting Network for 2016 Election
- Apr 18, 2016 Mizzou Women in Media Wins Excellence Award
- Apr 06, 2016 ASNE and Missouri School of Journalism Develop Unique Training Resources for High Schools
- Mar 21, 2016 Convergence Journalism Professor Honored for Promoting Equality