EARNEST L. PERRY is the associate dean for Graduate Studies and an associate professor at the Missouri School of Journalism. After earning his bachelor’s degree from Texas Christian University, he joined the staff of the Columbia Missourian as a city editor. While working full time at the Missourian, Perry earned master’s and doctorate degrees from the School. He has published articles on history and management in several journals including American Journalism, Journalism History and Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly.
Perry’s research interests focus on African-American press history and media management. He received a second-place award from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication in 2002 for his paper on the African-American press’ negotiation for a White House correspondent.
Perry is a member of the AEJMC Standing Committee on Teaching and former chair of the Standing Committee on Research. He is a former president of the American Journalism Historians Association.
Perry worked as a reporter for newspapers in Illinois, Connecticut and Texas before joining the School. He has also served as a consultant to news outlets in Texas and Missouri on issues such as newsroom management, reporting in ethnic minority communities, news writing and editing.
- Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone: A Guide to Reporting and Communicating Effectively About Issues of Difference, with Maria Len-Rios. Edited textbook on Cross-Cultural Journalism. Under review with Routledge Publishing.
- Ferrucci, P. & Perry, E. (In Press). Double Dribble: The Stereotypical Narrative of Magic and Bird. Journalism History.
- Len-Ríos, M. E., Finneman, T., Han, K. J., Bhandari, M., & Perry, E. L. (2015). Image Repair Campaign Strategies Addressing Race: Paula Deen, Social Media, and Defiance. International Journal of Strategic Communication, 2(9), 148-165.
- Edmondson, A. & Perry, E. L. (2010). ‘To the detriment of the institution’: The Missouri Student’s Fight to Desegregate the University of Missouri. American Journalism, 27(4), 105-131.
- Len-Rios, M. & Perry, E. L. (2009). Assessing Cross-Cultural Learning and the Effects of Personality and Negative Attitudes on Journalism Students’ Knowledge. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, 64(3), 273.
- Edmondson, A. & Perry, E. L. (2008). Objectivity and the Journalist’s Creed: Local Coverage of Lucile Bluford’s Fight to Enter the Missouri School of Journalism. Journalism History, 33(4).
- Perry, E. L. (2003). We Want In: The African American press’ negotiation for a White House Correspondent. American Journalism, 20(3), 31-47.
- Gade, P. & Perry, E. L. (2003). Changing the Newsroom Culture: A Four-Year Case Study of Organizational Change Development at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly, 80(2), 327-347.
- Perry, E. L. (2002). It’s Time To Force A Change: The African American Press’ Campaign For A True Democracy During World War II. Journalism History, 28(2).
- Perry, E. (2002). A Common Purpose: The Negro Newspaper Publishers Association fight for equality during World War II. American Journalism, 19(2), 31-43.
- Perry, E. L. (2002). Wait!…Where Did It Come From? The African American press’ opposition to the American Red Cross Blood Segregation Policy. Southwestern Mass Communication Journal.
- Somerville, R. W., Perry, E. L., Horvit, B., & Wood-Turley, S. (1998). Spider in the Web: Free-Speech Faith v. Parental Fears. Convergence: The Journal Research into New Media Technologies, 4(4), 59-76.
- Ketterer, S. E., Lee, E., Perry, E. L., Sanders, K. P., Meeds, R. W., & Yin, J. (1996). Audience and Gatekeeper Perceptions of the O.J. Simpson Trial and its Coverage. Operant Subjectivity.
- May 13, 2019: Four Graduate Students Named to New Knight Nonprofit News Internship Program for Summer 2019
- May 7, 2019: Associate Professor Amy Simons Awarded 2019 Excellence in Online Class Facilitation Award
- May 2, 2019: Associate Professor Tim Vos Awarded 2019 MU Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- Feb 28, 2019: Advertising Scholar on Consumer Behavior to Present on Tuesday, March 19
- Jul 20, 2018: Top Awards and Numerous Paper Presentations Among Missouri's Highlights at Upcoming Academic Conference
- Feb 23, 2018: The Missouri School of Journalism and MU Theatre Team Up to Co-Produce a Journalistic Play
- Aug 2, 2017: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More than 80 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- May 31, 2017: Big Data and Sports, Missouri Reception: School to Host 2 Sessions at AEJMC in Chicago
- May 30, 2017: Paula Hunt Wins MU Distinguished Dissertation Award
- Feb 22, 2017: National Association of Black Journalists Visit Chicago for Annual Media Tour
- Feb 22, 2017: Feminist Scholar on Media Representations to Present on Thursday, March 9
- Nov 30, 2016: 5th Annual Unity Conference Empowers Millennials in Media Industry
- Nov 14, 2016: Alumni, Faculty Recognized by Mizzou Alumni Association
- Oct 22, 2016: Associate Dean, Alumnae Selected for SEC Academic Leadership Development Program
- Oct 6, 2016: Register Now for Oct. 25 Information Session About Online MA Program
- Sep 27, 2016: Leaders' Day Prepares High School Journalists for Editorial Excellence
- Aug 17, 2016: Paula Hunt Selected for Postdoctoral Fellowship for 2016-17 Academic Year
- Jul 25, 2016: Faculty, Students, Alumni to Present Almost 90 Papers at Global Conference
- Apr 5, 2016: Journalism Professor Awarded 2016 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Mar 28, 2016: Missouri-Hurley Symposium Offers Insights into Diversity, First Amendment
- Mar 22, 2016: Earnest Perry Named New Associate Dean for Graduate Studies
- Mar 17, 2016: Tim Tai Accepts First Amendment Defender Award at DC Banquet
- Mar 15, 2016: KBIA-FM Team Publishes Multimedia Package on Campus Race Relations
- Mar 11, 2016: 11 Journalism Students Selected for Mizzou 39
- Mar 1, 2016: DC Symposium to Explore Diversity, Inclusion, First Amendment
- Jan 6, 2016: Missouri Faculty, Alumni, Students Publish New Textbook on Cross-Cultural Journalism
- Nov 30, 2015: MSNBC Managing Editor Rashida Jones Headlines 4th Annual Unity Conference
- Nov 17, 2015: Missouri Honor Medalist Lincoln Stephens Presents 'Life Is A Pitch' Workshop
- Sep 25, 2015: National Association of Black Journalists Chapter Hosts Speed Mentoring Activity
- Jul 15, 2015: Faculty, Alumni, Students to Present Papers at Global Research Conference
- May 21, 2015: Earnest Perry Wins the O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Jul 24, 2014: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 100-Plus Papers at International Conference; 18 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 8, 2014: Professor Earnest Perry and Alumna Jane Singer Elected to AEJMC Leadership Positions
- May 5, 2014: Missouri Journalism Scholars to Present 39 Papers at the International Communication Association Conference
- Sep 4, 2013: American Journalism Historians Association to Recognize Professor Earnest Perry with Its National Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Aug 20, 2013: The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes New Faculty Members and Announces Promotions for the 2013-14 Academic Year
- Aug 14, 2013: A Record Breaker: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 114 Papers at International Conference; 11 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Aug 14, 2012: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 106 Papers at International Conference; 19 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Oct 24, 2011: Dean Mills and Lewis Diuguid, BJ '77, Honored by American Journalism Historians Association
- Jul 30, 2010: Faculty, Students to Serve as Moderators, Discussants and Panelists for 21 Sessions at AEJMC
- Jul 29, 2010: Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty to Present 44 Papers at International Research Conference
- Nov 24, 2009: Five Students Present Papers; Perry Elected President; Winfield Receives Kobre Award at the American Journalism Historians Association Convention
- Sep 30, 2009: Betty Winfield to Receive the Sidney Kobre Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism History
- Sep 23, 2009: Earnest Perry to Assume Presidency of the American Journalism Historians Association
- Jul 22, 2009: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students to Present 50 Scholarly Papers, Lead 21 Sessions at Upcoming Research Conference
- Mar 20, 2009: MU Cross-Cultural Journalism Course Available in Kansas City via Internet Video
- Feb 21, 2008: Scholarly Symposium to Highlight 1908 as a Pivotal Year in American Journalism
- Aug 30, 2007: Missouri Researchers Present 47 Papers, Panel Discussions at Leading Academic Conference
- Apr 16, 2007: Missouri School of Journalism Receives $590,000 Grant to Host Reynolds High School Journalism Institutes
- Sep 15, 2006: Missouri Faculty, Students to Present at Upcoming AJHA Conference
- Aug 28, 2006: New Book Explores Media, Mission and Morality in Journalism
- Jul 17, 2006: Journalism Students and Faculty to Present 31 Papers at 2006 AEJMC Conference
- Oct 10, 2005: Newspaper Sports Journalists Imitate ESPN's Entertaining Jargon, MU Researchers Find
- Aug 8, 2005: Missouri Journalism Students and Faculty Present 32 Papers, Win Four Student Awards at 2005 AEJMC Convention
- Aug 23, 2004: Missouri Faculty and Students Win Awards, Present Papers at Professional Conference
- Sep 4, 2003: The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes Nine New Faculty Members