Their Committees Appointments Focus on Teaching Standards and Professional Freedom and Responsibility
Columbia, Mo. (May 8, 2014) — Associate Professor Earnest Perry, MA ’95, PhD ’98, and Jane Singer, PhD ’96, a professor at City University London, have been elected to two key committees of the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Each will serve a three-year term.
Perry was named to the Teaching Committee, which focuses on standards regarding areas such academic and professional preparation for teachers in the field, faculty-administration relationships, equipment and facilities for instruction and related issues.
Perry is an associate professor and chair of the journalism studies faculty at the School. His research interests focus on African-American press history and media management. Perry has published articles on history and management in key academic journals including American Journalism, Journalism History and Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly. He has served as chair of the AEJMC Research Committee and president of the American Journalism Historians Association. He is also the recipient of the 2013 AJHA National Award for Excellence in Teaching.
Singer will begin her second term on the Professional Freedom and Responsibility Committee. This group recognizes achievements, and promotes organizational activities and goals, in the five areas of professional freedom and responsibility. The areas are Free Expression; Ethics; Media Criticism and Accountability; Racial, Gender, and Cultural Inclusiveness; and Public Service. Singer currently serves as chair of PF&R and is a member of the AEJMC executive committee.
Singer is a former print and online journalist who has been studying journalists’ responses to digital technologies since the mid-1990s. She is especially interested in the impact of digital media on journalists’ roles, norms, practices and products. Singer’s previous academic appointments have been at Iowa, from which she is currently on leave, Central Lancashire in the U.K. and Colorado State. Prior to earning her doctorate in journalism at Missouri, she served as the founding news manager of the first national online service in America.
AEJMC is a nonprofit, educational association of journalism and mass communication faculty, administrators, students and media professionals. Dedicated to promoting the highest standards for education, the Association provides an abundance of resources for news, research and career opportunities, including a multicultural network of practitioners from every discipline of journalism and mass communication.
Updated: July 24, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 14, 2016 Alumni, Faculty Recognized by Mizzou Alumni Association
- Oct 22, 2016 Associate Dean, Alumnae Selected for SEC Academic Leadership Development Program
- Oct 06, 2016 Register Now for Oct. 25 Information Session About Online MA Program
- Jul 25, 2016 Faculty, Students, Alumni to Present Almost 90 Papers at Global Conference
- Jul 05, 2016 First Day as Associate Dean
- May 16, 2016 Associate Professor Tim Vos Elected to AEJMC Leadership Position
- Apr 05, 2016 Journalism Professor Awarded 2016 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Mar 22, 2016 Earnest Perry Named New Associate Dean for Graduate Studies
- Jan 06, 2016 Assistant Professor Brett Johnson Named 2016-17 Emerging Scholar
- Jul 28, 2014 Vox Magazine Wins 8 Awards in National Student Magazine Contest
- Jul 24, 2014 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 100-Plus Papers at International Conference; 18 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 08, 2014 Professor Earnest Perry and Alumna Jane Singer Elected to AEJMC Leadership Positions
- Jul 30, 2010 Faculty, Students to Serve as Moderators, Discussants and Panelists for 21 Sessions at AEJMC
- Jul 30, 2010 Magazine Journalism Students Win Four National Awards for Feature Writing and Start-up Magazine Concepts in AEJMC Contest
- Apr 13, 2010 Two Missouri Journalism Faculty Elected to Key AEJMC Committees