Ph.D. and M.A. Missouri School of Journalism at University of Missouri-Columbia
B.S. Texas Christian University
- Higher Education Leadership
- Inclusion, Diversity and Equity
- Media History
- Media Management
Dr. EARNEST L. PERRY is the Associate Dean of Graduate Studies and Research at the Missouri School of Journalism. He served as coordinator of the School’s doctoral teaching program for the past six years and as chair of journalism studies from 2005-2011 and again during the 2013-14 academic year.
Dr. Perry is a member of the Standing Committee on Teaching for the Association on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. He is a former president of American Journalism Historians Association and former chair of the Standing Committee on Research for AEJMC.
Dr. Perry is the lead instructor for the Missouri School of Journalism’s Cross Cultural Journalism course. He also teaches journalism history at the undergraduate and graduate level. His research interests center on African-American press history, specifically the Black Press during the first half of the 20th Century. He has published articles on history and media management in several journals including American Journalism, Journalism History and Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly.
Dr. Perry has also done research, specifically on the media’s role in serving underrepresented groups and the lack of ethnic minority journalists in the mainstream media. He worked for nearly ten years as a journalist for newspapers in Illinois, Connecticut and Texas. Dr. Perry has also served as a consultant to universities and news outlets on issues related to diversity and inclusion.
- Getting Out of Your Comfort Zone: A Guide to Reporting and Communicating Effectively About Issues of Difference, with Maria Len-Rios. Edited textbook on Cross-Cultural Journalism. Under review with Routledge Publishing.
- “Cross-Cultural Journalism and Strategic Communication: Storytelling and Diversity,” with Maria Len-Rios, 2nd edition, Routledge.
- “Image Repair Campaign Strategies Addressing Race: Paula Deen, Social Media, and Defiance,” with María E. Len-Ríos, Teri Finneman, Kyung Jung Han, Manu Bhandari, International Journal of Strategic Communication, April 2015.
- “Double Dribble: The stereotypical narrative of Magic and Bird,” with Patrick Ferrucci. Journalism History, July 2015.
- ‘To the detriment of the institution’: The Missouri Student’s Fight to Desegregate the University of Missouri,” with Aimee Edmondson. American Journalism, Fall 2010.
- “Assessing Cross-Cultural Learning and the Effects of Personality and Negative Attitudes on Journalism Students’ Knowledge,” with Maria Len-Rios. Journalism and Mass Communication Educator, Autumn 2009.
- “Forced to the Margins: The Early Twentieth-Century African-American Press,” chapter in Journalism 1908: Birth Of A Profession, edited by Betty Houchin Winfield, Fall 2008.
- “Objectivity and the Journalist’s Creed: Local Coverage of Lucile Bluford’s Fight to Enter the Missouri School of Journalism,” with Aimee Edmondson. Journalism History, January 2008.
- “We Want In: The African American press’ negotiation for a White House Correspondent.” American Journalism, Summer 2003.
- “It’s Time To Force A Change: The African American Press’ Campaign For A True Democracy During World War II.” Journalism History, Summer 2002.
- “A Common Purpose: The Negro Newspaper Publishers Association fight for equality during World War II.” American Journalism, Spring 2002.
- “Wait!…Where Did It Come From? The African American press’ opposition to the American Red Cross Blood Segregation Policy.” Southwestern Mass Communication Journal, Fall 2002.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 24, 2020 Journalism Associate Professor Cristina Mislán awarded the 2020 Provost’s Award for University Citizenship in Faculty Service
- Jul 30, 2020 Missouri journalism faculty, graduate students and alumni to present 70 papers at AEJMC 2020 virtual conference
- May 29, 2020 Two Missouri School of Journalism Graduate students receive 'best paper' at international conference
- May 08, 2020 Associate Professor Amanda Hinnant awarded the McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Feb 27, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism Associate Professor Amy Simons wins national Excellence in Teaching award
- Aug 23, 2019 Assistant Professor Cristina Mislán Named 2019 AJHA Rising Scholar Award Winner
- Jul 24, 2019 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More Than 60 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- May 13, 2019 Four Graduate Students Named to New Knight Nonprofit News Internship Program for Summer 2019
- May 07, 2019 Associate Professor Amy Simons Awarded 2019 Excellence in Online Class Facilitation Award
- May 02, 2019 Associate Professor Tim Vos Awarded 2019 MU Graduate Faculty Mentor Award
- Feb 28, 2019 Advertising Scholar on Consumer Behavior to Present on Tuesday, March 19
- Aug 02, 2017 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More than 80 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- May 31, 2017 Big Data and Sports, Missouri Reception: School to Host 2 Sessions at AEJMC in Chicago
- May 30, 2017 Paula Hunt Wins MU Distinguished Dissertation Award
- Feb 22, 2017 National Association of Black Journalists Visit Chicago for Annual Media Tour
- Feb 22, 2017 Feminist Scholar on Media Representations to Present on Thursday, March 9
- Nov 30, 2016 5th Annual Unity Conference Empowers Millennials in Media Industry
- Nov 14, 2016 Alumni, Faculty Recognized by Mizzou Alumni Association
- Oct 22, 2016 Associate Dean, Alumnae Selected for SEC Academic Leadership Development Program
- Oct 06, 2016 Register Now for Oct. 25 Information Session About Online MA Program
- Sep 27, 2016 Leaders' Day Prepares High School Journalists for Editorial Excellence
- Aug 17, 2016 Paula Hunt Selected for Postdoctoral Fellowship for 2016-17 Academic Year
- Jul 28, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Urma Redmond
- Jul 25, 2016 Faculty, Students, Alumni to Present Almost 90 Papers at Global Conference
- Jul 05, 2016 First Day as Associate Dean
- Apr 05, 2016 Journalism Professor Awarded 2016 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Mar 28, 2016 Missouri-Hurley Symposium Offers Insights into Diversity, First Amendment
- Mar 22, 2016 Earnest Perry Named New Associate Dean for Graduate Studies
- Mar 17, 2016 Tim Tai Accepts First Amendment Defender Award at DC Banquet
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Team Publishes Multimedia Package on Campus Race Relations
- Mar 11, 2016 11 Journalism Students Selected for Mizzou 39
- Mar 01, 2016 DC Symposium to Explore Diversity, Inclusion, First Amendment
- Jan 06, 2016 Missouri Faculty, Alumni, Students Publish New Textbook on Cross-Cultural Journalism
- Nov 30, 2015 MSNBC Managing Editor Rashida Jones Headlines 4th Annual Unity Conference
- Nov 17, 2015 Missouri Honor Medalist Lincoln Stephens Presents 'Life Is A Pitch' Workshop
- Sep 25, 2015 National Association of Black Journalists Chapter Hosts Speed Mentoring Activity
- Jul 15, 2015 Faculty, Alumni, Students to Present Papers at Global Research Conference
- May 21, 2015 Earnest Perry Wins the O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Jul 24, 2014 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 100-Plus Papers at International Conference; 18 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 08, 2014 Professor Earnest Perry and Alumna Jane Singer Elected to AEJMC Leadership Positions
- May 05, 2014 Missouri Journalism Scholars to Present 39 Papers at the International Communication Association Conference
- Sep 04, 2013 American Journalism Historians Association to Recognize Professor Earnest Perry with Its National Award for Excellence in Teaching
- Aug 20, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes New Faculty Members and Announces Promotions for the 2013-14 Academic Year
- Aug 14, 2013 A Record Breaker: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 114 Papers at International Conference; 11 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Nov 24, 2009 Five Students Present Papers; Perry Elected President; Winfield Receives Kobre Award at the American Journalism Historians Association Convention
- Sep 30, 2009 Betty Winfield to Receive the Sidney Kobre Award for Lifetime Achievement in Journalism History
- Sep 23, 2009 Earnest Perry to Assume Presidency of the American Journalism Historians Association
- Jul 22, 2009 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students to Present 50 Scholarly Papers, Lead 21 Sessions at Upcoming Research Conference
- Mar 20, 2009 MU Cross-Cultural Journalism Course Available in Kansas City via Internet Video
Updated: November 24, 2020