AMY SIMONS teaches multi-platform reporting and editing to students in the convergence journalism interest area.
Since joining the faculty in August 2010, Simons has developed an interest in international journalism, training professionals on campus and abroad. She has traveled across China and the European Union, teaching Web-first workflows, mobile journalism techniques and how to use social media as a reporting tool and a means to disseminate journalistic content.
Simons hosts and produces Views of the News, a weekly media criticism program that airs on KBIA-FM and KBIA.org. She also serves as the adviser to ONA Mizzou, the local club of the Online News Association and as a mentor in the school’s student competitions. In July 2015, Simons helped a group of students launch the Women in Media student organization. As that club’s adviser, Simons supports members as they launch their careers in journalism, advertising and public relations.
Previously Simons worked as digital news editor for the Chicago Tribune, where she helped develop and execute the editorial programming strategy for chicagotribune.com. While at the Tribune, Simons worked closely with the newsrooms of WGN-TV, CLTV News and WGN-AM to coordinate the coverage of daily and planned news events. Before joining the Chicago Tribune, she spent seven years at CLTV News, Tribune’s 24-hour news channel covering Chicago and the suburbs. Simons worked her way up through the ranks, joining the newsroom as the assignment desk assistant and leaving as an executive producer. At CLTV, she produced the award-winning business magazine show, Your Money, and was responsible for all of the station’s election coverage.
Simons is a graduate of the Missouri School of Journalism.
- Mar 8, 2018: 16 Journalism Students Selected for 'Mizzou '39' Honors
- Oct 4, 2017: 2017 Missouri Honor Medalists to Share Expertise, Perspectives during Oct. 16 Master Classes
- May 5, 2017: Convergence Journalism Professor Wins Excellence in Education Award
- Sep 8, 2016: School to Join National Reporting Network for 2016 Election
- Apr 18, 2016: Mizzou Women in Media Wins Excellence Award
- Apr 6, 2016: ASNE and Missouri School of Journalism Develop Unique Training Resources for High Schools
- Mar 21, 2016: Convergence Journalism Professor Honored for Promoting Equality
- Sep 10, 2015: School Welcomes New Faculty Members, Announces Promotions
- Jul 6, 2015: Online News Association Selects Missouri Students for Conference Newsroom
- Apr 10, 2015: Convergence Students Win National Korva Coleman Excellence Award
- Feb 3, 2015: Master's Student to Represent the School in News21 Program
- Jul 23, 2014: 18 Freshman Interest Groups to Focus on Journalism for Fall 2014
- Jul 17, 2014: 2 Missouri Journalism Students Selected for the Student Newsroom at the Online News Association's National Conference
- Apr 2, 2014: Andrew Gibson Named Outstanding Honors College Senior for the Missouri School of Journalism
- Feb 12, 2014: Students Add Interactive Mapping to Their Journalism Toolkit After Workshop Hosted by ONA Mizzou
- Jan 30, 2014: A Section of the Fundamentals of Multimedia Class Uses All-mobile Reporting Techniques
- Dec 10, 2013: Bridgit Bowden and Lukas Udstuen Win the Dean's Award for Radio News and Features
- Nov 8, 2013: New York Times Media Reporter Brian Stelter Discusses Digital Identity with Missouri Journalism Students
- Aug 6, 2013: 2 Missouri Students Selected to Serve in the Student Newsroom at the National Convention of the Online News Association
- May 6, 2013: How Vox Magazine Prepares For and Covers the True/False Film Fest
- Apr 16, 2013: Master's Student Adds 'Pulitzer Prize' to His Resume
- Nov 5, 2012: Your Digital Multimedia Skills Are in High Demand, Say Recent Journalism Alumni to Current Students
- Oct 22, 2012: Three Journalism Professors Selected for Inaugural University of Missouri Faculty Scholars Program
- Apr 26, 2012: Local News/Ad Widget Wins 2012 RJI Student Competition
- Apr 5, 2012: 'Letters Home' Offers a Bridge of Support Between Alumni and Students
- Feb 28, 2012: Convergence Journalism Senior Receives $2,000 Scholarship from the Overseas Press Club Foundation
- Aug 25, 2011: Founding President of ONA Mizzou to Participate in National Conference
- Apr 18, 2011: Students Establish Online News Association at the Missouri School of Journalism
- Sep 14, 2010: The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes 11 New Faculty Members