- Media History
KEITH GREENWOOD is an associate professor at the Missouri School of Journalism. He teaches courses in journalism and photojournalism history, photography’s role in society and research methods. His research interests include photojournalism history and the influences that determine depictions of subjects in photographs.
Greenwood has served on the faculty at Michigan State University and the University of Oklahoma. He has received top-paper awards from the Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Greenwood is the website administrator of the AEJMC History division and previously served in that role for the organization’s Visual Communication.
Greenwood earned a bachelor’s degree in mass communication from Northeast Missouri State University (now Truman State University). He worked in radio and as a freelance photographer during and following his undergraduate years before turning his focus primarily to photojournalism while pursuing a master’s degree in journalism at Michigan State University. Greenwood completed his doctorate at the Missouri School of Journalism. He is also a member of the American Journalism Historians Association, the National Press Photographers Association, the Society of Professional Journalists and Kappa Tau Alpha, the national honor society for journalism and mass communication.
- Thomson, T.J., and Keith Greenwood. “Profile Pictures Across Platforms: How Identity Visually Manifests Itself Among Social Media Communities.” In Handbook of Visual Communication edited by Sheree Josephson, James D. Kelly and Ken Smith, 2nd ed. New York, Routledge, 2020.
- Greenwood, Keith, and T.J. Thomson. “Framing the migration: A study of news photographs showing people fleeing war and persecution.” International Communication Gazette 82, no. 2 (2020):140-163. Published first online March 7, 2019. DOI: 10.1177/1748048519833515
- Thomson, T.J., and Keith Greenwood. “I ‘Like’ That: Exploring the Characteristics That Promote Social Media Engagement with News Photographs.” Visual Communication Quarterly 24, no. 4 (2017): 203-18. DOI: 10.1080/15551393.2017.1388701
- Thomson, T.J., and Keith Greenwood. “Beyond Framing: Influences of Subject-photographer Interactions on Visual Journalism.” Journalism Practice 11, no. 5 (2017): 625-644. DOI: 10.1080/17512786.2016.1152908.
- Greenwood, Keith, and Ryan Thomas. “Locating the Journalism in Citizen Photojournalism: The Use and Content of Citizen-Generated Imagery.” Digital Journalism 3, no. 4 (2015): 615-633. DOI: 10.1080/21670811.2015.1034528
Updated: September 30, 2020