Columbia, Mo. (March 24, 2017) — Documentary, the online publication of the International Documentary Association, featured the Jonathan B. Murray Center for Documentary Journalism in a Feb. 28, 2017, article.
“Documentary Film, Journalism Intersect in Groundbreaking Academic Program in Missouri” highlights how Jonathan Murray, an alumnus and the acknowledged father of reality television, found a way to help his alma mater while finding a way to prepare students to do long-form storytelling. In 2014 Murray gave the Missouri School of Journalism a $6.7 million gift to create one of the largest programs in documentary journalism.
The story shares information about professors Stacey Woelfel and Robert Greene, guest speakers such as Spike Lee, early success with students’ films and the challenges of the craft. It also outlines how the Murray Center works with the True/False Film Festival, which has become one of the most acclaimed nonfiction festivals in the world since its inception in 2003. [More]
Updated: October 14, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 04, 2022 Murray Center for Documentary Journalism welcomes Sebastián Martínez Valdivia as supervising producer
- Sep 19, 2022 Journalism students benefit from insider opportunities as Murray Center for Documentary Journalism gains prominence in industry
- May 10, 2022 Documentary Journalism students premiere their films at Stronger Than Fiction Film Festival on May 12
- Sep 16, 2021 Documentary Journalism program sees flurry of success, recognition
- Sep 14, 2021 Students, faculty preview Mizzou Made documentary
- Jul 28, 2021 Student Enhancement Fund created in honor of longtime professor Stacey Woelfel
- May 03, 2021 Documentary Journalism students premiere their films at Stronger Than Fiction Film Festival on May 10-11
- Nov 24, 2020 Journalism Associate Professor Robert Greene awarded the 2020 Provost Outstanding Junior Faculty Teaching Award
- Oct 14, 2020 Six films produced by Missouri School of Journalism students headed to St. Louis International Film Festival in November
- Aug 18, 2020 Recent Journalism School alumna's documentary named a semi-finalist in Student Academy Awards
- May 18, 2020 Documentary Journalism students receive awards at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction film festival
- May 05, 2020 Documentary Journalism students to premiere their films at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction Film Festival May 16-17
- Apr 14, 2020 Finding freedom as a filmmaker
- Feb 26, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism's RJI to host annual documentary film conference 'Based on a True Story'
- Jan 02, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism alum Danny Kerth and 30+ Mizzou alumni team up to raise awareness, combat suicide