243 Walter Williams Hall
Missouri School of Journalism
Columbia, MO 65211-1200
B.J. in Broadcast Journalism, Missouri School of Journalism
M.A. in Political Science, University of Missouri
Ph.D. in Political Science, University of Missouri
- Documentary Film Making
- Drone Journalism
- Journalism Ethics
- Millennial and Gen Z Journalists
- Television News
STACEY WOELFEL is a professor at the Missouri School of Journalism and the director of the Jonathan B. Murray Center for Documentary Journalism. The center uses the Missouri Method hands-on approach to teach students to artfully tell true stories in the documentary fashion. Previously, Woelfel spent 24 years as the news director for KOMU-TV, the University of Missouri-owned NBC affiliate for central Missouri. The commercial station serves as the teaching laboratory for the Missouri School of Journalism. Students at KOMU-TV are the reporters, producers, writers, photographers, and editors of six daily newscasts that go head to head with competing newscasts in the market.
Woelfel is also the director of aerial journalism at the Donald W. Reynolds Journalism Institute. In this role, he oversees the institute’s seven-drone fleet, teaches a drone-flying class and works with interested Missouri journalism students who want to get their FAA licenses to become drone pilots. He also writes about drone issues for RJI’s website, as well as other industry news sites and advocates for journalists’ use of drones on the state and national levels. In 2013, Woelfel was an RJI fellow, where he explored how newscasts can take advantage of second-screen viewing.
Woelfel is the past national chairman of the Radio Television Digital News Association (RTDNA), past national president of the Carole Kneeland Project for Responsible Journalism, past president of the board of governors of the Mid-America chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences and currently serves as vice president of the board for the Kansas City Film Festival. He has received the University of Missouri’s highest teaching honor, the William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence, as well as the Mizzou Alumni Association’s Faculty-Alumni Award.
Woelfel is a winner of the Payne Award for Ethics in Journalism, multiple Emmy and Edward R. Murrow awards, along with numerous regional and local honors. He has been inducted into the Silver Circle of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. He is a frequent instructor in free media practices for journalists worldwide. Woelfel has authored the book Suspicious Signs and penned a chapter in Silenced: International Journalists Expose Media Censorship. He holds a doctorate in political science.
He received a Bachelor of Journalism degree in broadcast journalism from the Missouri School of Journalism in 1981, as well as receiving master’s and doctorate degrees in political science from Mizzou. Before returning to the University of Missouri in 1986, he worked as a photographer and assignment editor at WESH-TV, the NBC-affiliate station in Orlando, Florida.
Woelfel enjoys traveling with his wife, Rebecca. The couple has two adult children who are both pursuing careers in the movie and television business in Los Angeles.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 14, 2020 Six films produced by Missouri School of Journalism students headed to St. Louis International Film Festival in November
- Aug 18, 2020 Recent Journalism School alumna's documentary named a semi-finalist in Student Academy Awards
- May 18, 2020 Documentary Journalism students receive awards at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction film festival
- May 05, 2020 Documentary Journalism students to premiere their films at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction Film Festival May 16-17
- Feb 26, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism's RJI to host annual documentary film conference 'Based on a True Story'
- Aug 18, 2017 School Welcomes New Faculty Members, Announces Promotions
- Mar 24, 2017 Documentary Journalism Program Featured in Leading Trade Pub
- Mar 21, 2017 Professor Stacey Woelfel Awarded Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Feb 09, 2017 5 Journalism Undergraduates Win Awards in Visual Art and Design Showcase
- Dec 09, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Exploring Other Lifestyles from Behind the Lens
- Nov 16, 2016 Professor Robert Greene Nominated for Prestigious Documentary Award
- Nov 16, 2016 Update on J-School Strategic Planning
- Jul 29, 2016 Strategic Planning: Moving Toward Priority-Setting
- May 26, 2016 Graduate Student Wins Best Short Documentary Award at Film Festival
- May 05, 2016 Strategic Planning Leadership Team Update
- Apr 18, 2016 Filmmaker Spike Lee Teaches Master Class to Documentary Journalism Students
- Apr 05, 2016 School Announces Members of New Strategic Planning Leadership Team
- Mar 28, 2016 Missouri-Hurley Symposium Offers Insights into Diversity, First Amendment
- Mar 11, 2016 Documentary Journalism Students Premiere Short Film at True/False Festival
- Mar 01, 2016 DC Symposium to Explore Diversity, Inclusion, First Amendment
- Feb 08, 2016 Photojournalism Senior Wins Grand Prize in MU Arts Competition
- Dec 21, 2015 Documentaries by Professor, Alumnus Selected to Premiere at Sundance Film Festival
- Dec 16, 2015 Radio Television Digital News Association Awards Scholarships to 2 Missouri Students
- Nov 10, 2015 Protests on Carnahan Quad Provide Opportunity for First Amendment Education
- Oct 09, 2015 TV Students, Alumni Take Home 10 Mid-America Emmy Awards
- Aug 20, 2015 Visiting Artist Series Kicks Off with Noted Documentary Filmmaker
- Dec 17, 2013 News Professionals Select Missouri as the Top J-School in the Country
- Oct 21, 2013 Broadcasting & Cable Magazine Features the Missouri School of Journalism in Its Sept. 30 Cover Story
- Jun 10, 2013 3 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty Members Named 2013-14 Fellows at the Reynolds Journalism Institute
- Nov 15, 2007 KOMU Earns Three Emmy Awards; Missouri Journalism Student-Producer Among Journalists Honored
- May 31, 2007 Woelfel Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- Apr 25, 2007 Convergence Journalism Professor Earns 2007 Excellence in Education Award for Extracurricular Work with Students
- Apr 23, 2007 KOMU Earns Regional Edward R. Murrow Award
- Nov 03, 2006 Radio-Television Professors Earn Emmy for Tsunami Coverage
- Oct 11, 2006 Woelfel to Be the First Missouri Journalism Faculty Member Inducted into Elite "Silver Circle"
- Jun 21, 2006 Radio-Television Journalism Faculty, Student Win MBA Excellence Awards
- May 01, 2006 Stacey Woelfel Receives the Excellence in Education Award
- Jan 12, 2006 Two Journalism Students Win Hearst Broadcast Awards
Updated: August 19, 2020