Columbia, Mo. (Jun 1, 2009) — Eleven Missouri Journalism students have been selected for the prestigious 2009 Dow Jones Newspaper Fund summer internships.
The students were among the 78 undergraduate and graduate students picked to work as multimedia, sports or newspaper copy editors. Each student will receive pre-internship training and pay at their news organizations for 10 weeks. Interns who return to college full time the following fall will receive $1,000 scholarships from the Fund.
Top row, from left: Tyler Armao, Stephanie Call, Anna Codutti, Julia Haslanger, Aja Junior. Second row: Amanda Kushner, Kendra Lueckert, Alexandra McGuffie, William Powell, Emily Ristow.
For almost 50 years, top reporters and editors have had the privilege of receiving Dow Jones Newspaper Fund training. The Newspaper Fund, founded in 1958 by editors of The Wall Street Journal, seeks to improve the quality of journalism education. Now one of the most recognized editing programs in the world, the Newspaper Fund regularly accepts Missouri Journalism students along with the best and brightest future journalists in the country.
Brian Brooks, associate dean for undergraduate studies and administration, has served as deputy director or director of the Dow Jones Newspaper Fund editing internship program at Missouri for more than 30 years. He said that the School has led the nation in the number of Dow Jones internships for at least the last five years.
“There are only about 80 students from around the country who get these internships,” Brooks said. “For one school to get this many is a tremendous honor. It says a lot about the students who go here and Mizzou’s commitment to copy editing. We have a high number of students who are interested in copy editing.”
Students and their Dow Jones internship locations are:
- Tyler Armao, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, Dow Jones Newswires
- Adam Bonafeste, BJ ’09, sports copy editing internship, The Hartford (Conn.) Courant
- Stephanie Call, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, Arizona Daily Star in Tucson
- Anna Codutti, MA ’10, copy editing internship, The Detroit News
- Julia Haslanger, BJ ’09, multimedia copy editing internship, McClatchy News Service, Washington, D.C.
- Aja Junior, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, The Detroit News
- Amanda Kushner, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, The St. Paul (Minn.) Pioneer Press
- Kendra Lueckert, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, The Kansas City (Mo.) Star
- Alexandra McGuffie, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, Beaumont (Texas) Enterprise
- William Powell, BJ ’09, sports copy editing internship, The New York Times
- Emily Ristow, BJ ’09, copy editing internship, Cape Cod Times, Hyannis, Mass.
Updated: May 4, 2020
- Aug 03, 2016 Insights on Internships: Classes That Helped
- Jul 28, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Urma Redmond
- Jul 22, 2016 Insights on Internships: 5 Questions with Samantha Kummerer
- Jun 29, 2016 Insight on Internships
- May 16, 2016 8 Missouri Journalism Students Win Dow Jones News Fund Editing Internships
- Oct 15, 2013 Upcoming Internship Boot Camp to Prepare Missouri Journalism Students for the Application Process
- May 31, 2013 New Placement Survey Shows 99 Percent of Recent Missouri Journalism Graduates Have Paid Employment or Are in Graduate School
- Feb 27, 2013 Dow Jones News Fund Selects Two Missouri School of Journalism Students as Summer Interns