The Missouri Coalition for Oral Health Recognizes Station’s Stories About Access to Dental Services for Underserved Populations
Columbia, Mo. (March 15, 2016) — The Missouri Coalition for Oral Health recognized KBIA-FM with an Oral Health Champion Award for its outstanding coverage of oral health policy and the ways in which limited access to oral health care affects many Missourians.
The award is given to individuals or organizations that have made significant contributions to high quality oral health care for underserved populations. KBIA staffers accepted the award on March 10 during the MCOH’s annual conference in Jefferson City.
KBIA was selected because of its efforts in revealing a dental health care crisis in the state. KBIA Health and Wealth Desk reporters Rebecca Smith and Bram Sable-Smith, and Assistant News Director Sara Shahriari developed two stories to highlight the issue.
In 1,723 Patients, the reporting team told how more than 1,700 people waited in line for hours to get free dental care at a clinic in Columbia, Mo. The turnout for this clinic, called the Missouri Mission of Mercy, exposed a hidden crisis: The expense of dental care and lack of access are major obstacles for many throughout the state and the country. The story aired on Aug. 11, 2015.
Intersection-Dental Care Access in Missouri explored the complicated situation around access to affordable dental care in Missouri. The story aired on Oct. 6, 2015.
Updated: June 15, 2021
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- May 17, 2017 Helmsley Charitable Trust Endorses Work of Health Journalism Center with $1.3 Million Grant
- May 09, 2017 Radio Reporting Lab Offers New Learning Opportunity for Journalism Students
- Apr 21, 2017 KBIA 91.3 FM Debuts New Home in McReynolds Hall
- Mar 31, 2017 Goldberg Lecturer to Examine Communications Between Patients and Their Doctors
- Nov 07, 2016 KBIA-FM Named a Finalist for Online News Association's General Excellence Award
- Jul 20, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 16 Awards from the Kansas City Press Club
- Jun 30, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 National Awards for Best Work in Public Radio in the US
- Jun 15, 2016 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Earn 10 Awards from Missouri Broadcasters Association
- May 04, 2016 W.K. Kellogg Foundation Awards $240,000 Grant to School-Based Center
- May 02, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 5 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 Sigma Delta Chi Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Stories Win 3 Regional Society of Professional Journalists Awards
- Apr 26, 2016 Global Journalist Wins 2016 Telly Award
- Apr 12, 2016 Journalism Students, Faculty Win Health Journalism 2016 Fellowships
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Team Publishes Multimedia Package on Campus Race Relations
- Oct 05, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins Top RNA Award for Religion Reporting
- Sep 28, 2015 Online News Association Awards KBIA-FM Its Top Award for Excellence
- Jul 24, 2015 Investigative Reporting Students Produce 50-Plus Stories for KOMU-TV
- Jul 09, 2015 New Smith/Patterson Fellow to Focus on Health and Science Journalism
- Jul 01, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins 3 First-Place Awards in National Competition
- Jun 24, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins National Edward R. Murrow Award for Feature Reporting
- Jun 09, 2015 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Win 15 Awards for Broadcasting Excellence
- Apr 28, 2015 KBIA-FM and KOMU-TV Win Total of 6 RTDNA Region 5 Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 23, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award for Radio Documentary
- Apr 23, 2015 $450,000 Grant to Support Health Journalism Training Efforts
- Apr 08, 2015 2 KBIA-FM Stories Win Mastering the Method Multimedia Category