Broadcast Special ‘Heartland, Missouri’ Wins for Excellence in Radio or Podcast Religion Reporting in Annual Contest
By Kiara Ealy
Columbia, Mo. (Oct. 5, 2015) — “Heartland, Missouri,” a special report by KBIA-FM, has won the 2015 Religion News Association‘s first place honor for Excellence in Radio or Podcast Religion Reporting.
The 30-minute feature has become a nationally recognized, multi-award-winning piece on the intentional Christian community in northeastern Missouri. It is the first RNA award for KBIA, mid-Missouri’s NPR-member station.
The Heartland community spans three counties and was founded by Charles Sharpe in 1995. It’s home to Heartland Dairy, Heartland Community Church, a men’s recovery program – and most controversially, Heartland Christian Academy – which has received scrutiny for its use of corporal punishment and in 2001 was the center of a state raid.
Judges of the RNA contest lauded KBIA’s use of sound and storytelling to investigate the Heartland community.
“Intensely compelling radio journalism. The reporting reminded me of the Serial podcast,” an RNA contest judge commented. “It was difficult to listen to the parts about corporal punishment, but it helped to paint a picture of what was going on at Heartland. Excellent storytelling. Excellent use of sound.”
“Heartland, Missouri” succeeded with the yearlong collaboration of KBIA news director Ryan Famuliner; Casey Morell, MA ’14; and Abigail Keel, BJ ’15; and former news director Janet Saidi. Mike Dunn serves as the station’s general manager.
“We’re humbled by the award, especially considering the high-caliber work it was up against,” Famuliner said.
Both graduates who worked on the project have gone on to land highly regarded positions in public radio. Morell is the coordinating producer for Nevada Public Radio. Abigail Keel has taken on a competitive internship with Radiolab, a radio show that mixes sound, science and culture.
The RNA was established in 1949 to help journalists across the globe cover religion with balance, accuracy and insight. The RNA annual contest began in 2006 and honors outstanding religion reporting in the categories of newspaper, multiple media, magazine, broadcast and books.
The RNA Excellence in Radio or Podcast Religion Reporting is one of nine awards “Heartland, Missouri” has received, which also includes the Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi Award, three PRNDI Awards, two regional Edward R. Murrow Awards, a Missouri Broadcaster’s Association Award, and runner up of the Miller Audio Prize Contest.
Updated: November 19, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 07, 2016 KBIA-FM Named a Finalist for Online News Association's General Excellence Award
- Oct 19, 2016 Recent Graduate Wins First Place in Religion Reporting Competition
- Oct 13, 2016 Second-Ever Reporting Shift: Student's KBIA-FM Story Picked Up by NPR
- Jul 20, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 16 Awards from the Kansas City Press Club
- Jun 30, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 National Awards for Best Work in Public Radio in the US
- Jun 15, 2016 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Earn 10 Awards from Missouri Broadcasters Association
- May 02, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 5 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 Sigma Delta Chi Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Stories Win 3 Regional Society of Professional Journalists Awards
- Apr 26, 2016 Global Journalist Wins 2016 Telly Award
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Team Publishes Multimedia Package on Campus Race Relations
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins Oral Health Champion Award
- Dec 07, 2015 Dean David Kurpius Meets with Missouri Journalism Alumni, Friends in Chicago
- Dec 01, 2015 Students Cover Pope's Philadelphia Visit for Religion News Service
- Oct 05, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins Top RNA Award for Religion Reporting
- Sep 28, 2015 Online News Association Awards KBIA-FM Its Top Award for Excellence
- Jul 01, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins 3 First-Place Awards in National Competition
- Jun 24, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins National Edward R. Murrow Award for Feature Reporting
- Jun 09, 2015 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Win 15 Awards for Broadcasting Excellence
- Apr 28, 2015 KBIA-FM and KOMU-TV Win Total of 6 RTDNA Region 5 Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 23, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award for Radio Documentary
- Apr 08, 2015 2 KBIA-FM Stories Win Mastering the Method Multimedia Category