Feature Reporting and Special Programs Entries Earn First Place, Certificate of Merit for Documentary/Public Affairs
Columbia, Mo. (June 24, 2014) — The Missouri Broadcasters Association recognized three stories aired on KBIA-FM during its annual meeting June 7 in Branson. The top-ranked NPR-member station is one of the Missouri School of Journalism’s real-media news outlets that provides hands-on experience for students.
News Director and Associate Professor Janet Saidi accepted the awards on behalf of the station. The competition recognizes broadcast professionals who exemplify excellence and achievement in the industry.
First-place honors were won in the Feature Reporting category for a story by former KBIA reporter Abbie Fentress-Swanson, “Scientists Detect High Levels of Nitrogen in Midwest Waterways.”
In the Special Programs category, Intersection‘s live broadcast from the state capitol for the 2014 State of the State won first place. Those involved included: Ryan Famuliner, host and KBIA assistant news director; producers Saidi and Reuben Stern, deputy director of the Reynolds Journalism Institute‘s Futures Lab; Travis McMillen, RJI video producer; and Casey Morrell, KBIA engineer. Former KBIA staff member Rehman Tungekar also served as a producer.
Students who served as production assistants were: Bridgit Bowden, Kate Grumke, Rachel Gangwere and Caleb Hoke.
Associate Professor Gary Grigsby’s story “Drought: Killing Trees Slowly” won a certificate of merit.
Updated: July 27, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jun 30, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 National Awards for Best Work in Public Radio in the US
- May 24, 2016 Sarah Smith-Frigerio Named Finalist for Campus Excellence Award
- May 02, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 5 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Stories Win 3 Regional Society of Professional Journalists Awards
- Oct 05, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins Top RNA Award for Religion Reporting
- Sep 28, 2015 Online News Association Awards KBIA-FM Its Top Award for Excellence
- Jul 01, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins 3 First-Place Awards in National Competition
- Jun 09, 2015 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Win 15 Awards for Broadcasting Excellence
- Apr 28, 2015 KBIA-FM and KOMU-TV Win Total of 6 RTDNA Region 5 Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Dec 03, 2014 Bridgit Bowden, Hope Kirwan Win Dean's Award for Radio News and Features
- Jul 29, 2014 CollegeMagazine.com Ranks the Missouri School of Journalism No. 1
- Jun 24, 2014 KBIA-FM Students, Faculty and Staff Win 3 Missouri Broadcasters Association Awards
- Jun 24, 2014 KBIA-FM Wins National Edward R. Murrow Award for Its Website
- Apr 24, 2014 KBIA-FM Earns 3 Regional Murrow Awards for Excellence in Electronic Journalism