The Radio and Television Digital News Association Awards Recognize the Best in Electronic Journalism
Columbia, Mo. (May 2, 2016) — The Radio and Television Digital News Association has awarded KBIA-FM five prestigious Edward R. Murrow Awards for its work as a small-market radio station in region 5. These awards recognize the best electronic journalism produced by radio, television and online news organizations around the world.
- Overall Excellence: For the second year in a row, KBIA won for overall excellence. All professional staff members on KBIA’s news team had stories included in the entry. A number of current and former students were also involved in the stories in this entry including, but not limited to, James Gordon, Caty Eisterhold, Ailin Li, Kara Tabor, Hellen Tian, Sarah Kellogg, Emerald O’Brien, Ashley Reese and Heather Adams.
- Best Website: This is the fourth straight year that KBIA has earned recognition for its website.
- Continuing Coverage: This award is for work on racial issues and unrest in Columbia and at the University of Missouri throughout 2015. Entries were produced by all members of the KBIA professional news team as well as student Ross Terrell.
- News Series: This award was given for “Shortage in Rich Land,” a series on issues in the Missouri Bootheel produced by Kristofor Husted and Bram Sable Smith.
- Hard News: Kristofor Husted’s feature on immigrant farm workers’ housing won in this category.
There are 13 categories in each regional competition. KBIA’s region includes Iowa, Kansas, Nebraska and Missouri. The entries in these five categories will go on to the national competition against the winning entries from other regions. Those winners will be announced in June.
KBIA won a national Edward R. Murrow award in 2015 for Feature Reporting, and another national award in 2014 for Best Website.
Updated: September 24, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 10, 2017 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Win 4 National Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Sep 19, 2017 Grad Student Selected as 'New Voices Scholar' by Associations of Independents in Radio
- May 16, 2017 KBIA-FM, KOMU-TV Win 13 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- May 09, 2017 Radio Reporting Lab Offers New Learning Opportunity for Journalism Students
- May 03, 2017 KBIA-FM Wins 2 National Headliner Awards
- Apr 21, 2017 KBIA 91.3 FM Debuts New Home in McReynolds Hall
- Nov 07, 2016 KBIA-FM Named a Finalist for Online News Association's General Excellence Award
- Oct 13, 2016 Second-Ever Reporting Shift: Student's KBIA-FM Story Picked Up by NPR
- Jul 20, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 16 Awards from the Kansas City Press Club
- Jun 30, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 National Awards for Best Work in Public Radio in the US
- Jun 15, 2016 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Earn 10 Awards from Missouri Broadcasters Association
- May 02, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 5 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 Sigma Delta Chi Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Stories Win 3 Regional Society of Professional Journalists Awards
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Team Publishes Multimedia Package on Campus Race Relations
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins Oral Health Champion Award
- Oct 05, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins Top RNA Award for Religion Reporting
- Sep 28, 2015 Online News Association Awards KBIA-FM Its Top Award for Excellence
- Jul 01, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins 3 First-Place Awards in National Competition
- Jun 24, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins National Edward R. Murrow Award for Feature Reporting
- Jun 09, 2015 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Win 15 Awards for Broadcasting Excellence
- Apr 28, 2015 KBIA-FM and KOMU-TV Win Total of 6 RTDNA Region 5 Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 23, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award for Radio Documentary