Top Honors Were Received in Sports Reporting, Website, Feature Reporting, Investigative Reporting, Writing and Overall Excellence Categories
By Rebecca Dell
Columbia, Mo. (April 28, 2015) — The Missouri School of Journalism had a strong showing in this year’s Region 5 Edward R. Murrow Awards, given out by the Radio Television Digital News Association. KOMU-TV won one award, and KBIA won five.
Radio-television journalism senior Mihir Bhagat won in the small-market television division for Best Sports Reporting for his story “Love Is Blind,” about a blind man who made a three-point shot during a halftime show.
“This is the culmination of years of work by Mihir,” said KOMU News Director Randy Reeves, who advised Bhagat. “He’s been very focused on improving his skill set and his craft. This shows what a student reporter can do at KOMU 8.”
KBIA won the small-market radio division for Overall Excellence, Best Website, Best Feature Reporting, Best Investigative Reporting and Best Writing.
The Best Website win is KBIA’s third consecutive win in that category – last year, KBIA brought home the national award. That award, along with the Overall Excellence award, is the result of a consistent effort by students and staff alike, said KBIA News Director Ryan Famuliner, who oversaw the development of the entries.
Journalists who contributed to the entries for those categories include Heather Adams, Tom Barclay, Jenn Cooper, A.J. Feather, Brady Finn, Andrew Gibson, Gary Grigsby, Jack Howard, Matt Kalish, Abigail Keel, Hope Kirwan, Casey Morell, Maureen Lewis-Stump, Tony Nochim, Kyle Norris, Madeline O’Leary, Ashley Reese, Katarina Sostaric, Rehman Tungekar, Meredith Turk and George Varney.
The story “Youth in Ferguson” won for Best Feature Reporting, reported by senior Hope Kirwan and KBIA staff members Austin Federa, Bram Sable-Smith and Katie Hiler.
The story “Heartland, Missouri” won for Best Investigative Reporting and Best Writing. Students who worked on the story with Famuliner include lead reporter Abigail Keel, a senior, and Casey Morell, MA ’14, who developed the story while a master’s student and now works at an NPR-member station in Las Vegas.
“Both of those awards are great examples of the Missouri Method in action,” Famuliner said. “They were working alongside professional reporters at KBIA to produce the stories with a shared byline.”
In addition to the station’s wins, KBIA staff member Kristofor Husted reported one of the stories in Harvest Public Media‘s “Tossed Out,” which won Best News Series in the large-market radio competition.
Winners from Region 5, which includes Missouri, Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska, will compete against winners from other regions. National winners will be announced in June.
Updated: September 4, 2020
- Jul 31, 2020 Broadcasting alumni find success landing jobs despite pandemic, economic crisis
- Jul 17, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism's NPR-member station KBIA's 'Show Me The State,' statewide health coverage win national awards
- Jun 29, 2020 The Journalism School's KOMU-TV expands its reach by launching app on Roku
- May 15, 2020 Checking in during COVID-19
- Apr 22, 2020 KBIA-FM, KOMU-TV win 12 awards from Missouri Broadcasters Association
- Oct 10, 2017 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Win 4 National Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Jun 20, 2017 KOMU-TV 8 Named 'Station of the Year' by the Missouri Broadcasters Association
- May 16, 2017 KBIA-FM, KOMU-TV Win 13 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- May 03, 2017 KBIA-FM Wins 2 National Headliner Awards
- Jan 03, 2017 Kristen Reesor Wins Radio Television Digital News Foundation Scholarship
- Jul 21, 2016 KOMU-TV News Wins 9 Awards from the Kansas City Press Club
- Jun 15, 2016 KOMU-TV, KBIA-FM Earn 10 Awards from Missouri Broadcasters Association
- May 02, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 5 Regional Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins 2 Sigma Delta Chi Awards
- Apr 27, 2016 KBIA-FM Stories Win 3 Regional Society of Professional Journalists Awards
- Apr 07, 2016 Asian-American Journalists Association Students Interview Lead Investigative Editor
- Mar 17, 2016 Tim Tai Accepts First Amendment Defender Award at DC Banquet
- Mar 15, 2016 KBIA-FM Wins Oral Health Champion Award
- Dec 16, 2015 Radio Television Digital News Association Awards Scholarships to 2 Missouri Students
- Dec 07, 2015 Dean David Kurpius Meets with Missouri Journalism Alumni, Friends in Chicago
- Oct 28, 2015 NPR, Associated Press Pick Up KOMU-TV Story
- Oct 05, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins Top RNA Award for Religion Reporting
- Sep 28, 2015 Online News Association Awards KBIA-FM Its Top Award for Excellence
- Aug 20, 2015 Jeimmie Nevalga Selected for Dori Maynard Diversity Leadership Program
- Jul 24, 2015 Investigative Reporting Students Produce 50-Plus Stories for KOMU-TV
- Jul 01, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins 3 First-Place Awards in National Competition
- Jun 24, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins National Edward R. Murrow Award for Feature Reporting
- Apr 28, 2015 KBIA-FM and KOMU-TV Win Total of 6 RTDNA Region 5 Edward R. Murrow Awards
- Apr 23, 2015 KBIA-FM Wins SPJ Sigma Delta Chi Award for Radio Documentary
- Apr 02, 2015 Missouri Journalism Students Win 12 Regional SPJ Mark of Excellence Awards
- Mar 20, 2015 Health Journalism Fellowships Awarded to 9 Missouri Students and Professionals
- Jan 27, 2015 Radio Features by Hope Kirwan Place Tenth in National Hearst Competition
- Dec 03, 2014 Bridgit Bowden, Hope Kirwan Win Dean's Award for Radio News and Features
- Jun 24, 2014 KBIA-FM Students, Faculty and Staff Win 3 Missouri Broadcasters Association Awards
- Jun 24, 2014 KBIA-FM Wins National Edward R. Murrow Award for Its Website
- May 12, 2014 National Academy of Television Arts and Science Awards 6 Student Pillars of Excellence to Missouri
- Apr 24, 2014 KBIA-FM Earns 3 Regional Murrow Awards for Excellence in Electronic Journalism
- Feb 28, 2014 MU Journalism Dean Names Reeves New KOMU-TV News Director
- Nov 15, 2006 RTNDA Student Members Visit Kansas City Television Stations
- Oct 17, 2006 NPR Associate Producer/Alumna Heats Up the Air Waves at KBIA as a Hearst Visiting Professional
- Jun 21, 2006 Radio-Television Journalism Faculty, Student Win MBA Excellence Awards
- Apr 05, 2006 Two Journalism Professors Win Regional Edward R. Murrow Award