The Group Shared Insights about 13- to 17-Year-Olds in the ‘State of the Next YAYA’ Presentation
By Sam Presperin
Public Relations Account Executive
Columbia, Mo. (March 12, 2013) — Twelve MOJO Ad students from the Missouri School of Journalism recently visited eight Minneapolis advertising agencies and media companies to learn more about the Minneapolis market, discuss agency life and present the “State of the Next YAYA” (Youth and Young Adult) report.
The students visited agencies that produce advertising and public relations campaigns for some of the world’s most popular brands such as Subaru, Target, Purina and McDonald’s. The students, who are interested in careers in account management and creative services, learned about each company’s culture through office tours and meetings with human resource professionals. The students also participated in discussions about agencies’ current client work.
Some of the visits were hosted at offices where school and/or MOJO Ad alumni are now working, including Julie Batliner, BS, AgJ ’96, senior partner at Carmichael Lynch Spong; Kerry Krepps, BJ ’74, creative director and owner of Riley Hayes; and Kim Garretson, BJ ’73, founding partner, Ovative/Group. The sites were:
- Carmichael Lynch Spong
- Haberman: Modern Storytellers
- Modern Climate
- Riley Hayes
- Risdall Advertising
At each agency students presented the “State of the Next YAYA” report to senior management and company employees. The report analyzes research conducted about current 13- to 17-year-olds regarding their habits as consumers and social media usage. Companies seek this information to better understand how to reach and advertise effectively to this emerging market.
The report builds on annual research that MOJO Ad has conducted on 18- to 24-year-olds. Major corporations and other organizations – among them Hallmark, Redbox, Famous Footwear and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services – have worked with MOJO Ad to produce advertising campaigns to reach this demographic. MOJO Ad, launched in 2005, is the school’s student-staffed, professional-services agency.
MOJO Ad expanded its research focus to include 13- to 17-year-olds at the request of agencies visited during the 2012 trip to Chicago.
“There were a lot of questions about young people who are now 13-17 and how they might be different from the current YAYA audience,” said Barbara Ifshin, associate professor and MOJO Ad director. “So this year, we explored this younger audience and how they may be the same or different when they enter YAYA-dom.”
A question-and-answer session followed the YAYA presentations.
“They truly captivated their audience by unveiling key trigger points from this generation,” said Brooke Lattin, account executive at Risdall Advertising. “They gave Risdall an inside look at the next target demographic.”
The students were impressed by agencies, the vibrant Minneapolis advertising scene and city life. Caroline Merten, a MOJO Ad copywriter, said she felt like more of an advertising professional at each office than a visiting student.
“It was really helpful in preparing me to take the next steps in my career,” Merten said.
Updated: July 14, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Dec 10, 2019 MOJO Ad presents 2020 State of the YAYA: Under No Illusion
- Nov 08, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Senior Carly Berthiaume gains experience with internship at Alzheimer's Association
- May 29, 2019 Students Gain Hands-On Experience Developing Campaigns to Attract Audiences to Boxing
- May 17, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Students Gain Hands-On Experience Working for Fee-Based Clients
- Feb 08, 2019 Missouri Students Report on Detroit Auto Show, Share Research Findings with GM Executives and PR Agencies
- May 04, 2016 Missouri Students Give Strong Performance in District 9 Advertising Competition
- Mar 31, 2016 Research Provides New Insights into Youth and Young Adult Market
- Mar 25, 2016 Humans of Strat Comm: Emily Bathe
- Mar 17, 2016 Strategic Communication Career Fair Attracts Top National Agencies
- Feb 19, 2016 Strategic Communication Capstone Courses Set New Enrollment Record
- Oct 19, 2015 Asia Pacific Regional President of FleishmanHillard Visits Journalism School
- Jul 28, 2015 AdZou Team Completes Its First International Assignment
- May 18, 2015 Work of Strategic Communication Students Celebrated at Awards Ceremony
- Apr 07, 2015 MOJO Ad Team Shares Mindset of Those Ages 18-24 to Los Angeles Agencies
- Oct 18, 2013 AdZou Helps the Pettis County Health Center Rebrand Its Image
- Sep 23, 2013 AdZou Launches New Website with Improved Features for Clients and Students
- May 28, 2013 Famous Footwear Taps MOJO Ad to Reach the Youth and Young Adult Market
- Apr 01, 2013 Strategic Communication Students Visit New York to Learn More about the Practice of Advertising and Public Relations
- Mar 12, 2013 MOJO Ad Students Visit 8 Minneapolis Advertising Agencies and Media Companies
- Feb 12, 2013 MOJO Ad to Develop Integrated Campaigns for National Chain Famous Footwear