The 6-Minute Film About a Transgender Girl Has Been Shown at 5 Festivals
Columbia, Mo. (May 26, 2016) — A documentary directed by Missouri School of Journalism graduate student Yuting Jiang won the Best Short Documentary award at the QFest NJ LGBT Film and Digital Media Festival in April. The film, “Mazy,” is about a transgender girl in the St. Louis area struggling to understand herself and fit in to the world around her.
Jiang finished the six-minute film this past winter as part of her master’s program. She followed the advice of Associate Professor Stacey Woelfel, the director of the School’s Jonathan B. Murray Center for Documentary Journalism, to submit it to film festivals for possible public screening. Jiang offered her film to general interest festivals as well as those that focus on LGBTQ subject matters for their programs. Five festivals chose the film for showing.
In addition to the QFest NJ LGBT Film and Digital Media Festival in Ocean Grove, New Jersey, the film has played at the Docuwest International Film Festival in Denver, Colorado, the Plymouth Film Festival in Plymouth, England, QFest St. Louis and the Queer Brilliance Film Festival in San Francisco.
Jiang and the film’s subject, Mazy Gilleylen, appeared together at the showing at QFest St. Louis on April 26. An enthusiastic audience welcomed Mazy and her parents and watched the film play as part of a collection of documentary and narrative shorts about transgender issues titled “Trans Lives Shorts.”
Jonathan Murray, BJ ’77, founder and executive consultant of Bunim/Murray Productions, gave a $6.7 million gift to the School in 2015 to create the Murray Center. The goal is to provide innovative teaching, professional outreach and research programs at the School that will bring together talented students, faculty and professionals from around the world. Woelfel, along with Filmmaker-in-Chief Robert Greene, oversee the Center’s development and activities.
Updated: September 29, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Aug 18, 2020 Recent Journalism School alumna's documentary named a semi-finalist in Student Academy Awards
- May 18, 2020 Documentary Journalism students receive awards at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction film festival
- May 05, 2020 Documentary Journalism students to premier their films at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction Film Festival May 16-17
- Apr 14, 2020 Finding freedom as a filmmaker
- Feb 26, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism's RJI to host annual documentary film conference 'Based on a True Story'
- Sep 19, 2019 Assistant Professor Robert Greene awarded the 2019 Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity in the Performing Arts and the Humanities
- May 09, 2019 Documentary Journalism Students to Premier Their Films at Third Annual Stronger Than Fiction Film Festival on May 15 at the Missouri Theater
- Mar 27, 2017 Student Organization to Host International LGBTQ Film Screening
- Mar 21, 2017 Professor Stacey Woelfel Awarded Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Feb 13, 2017 Documentary Journalism Student Wins International Video Contest
- Jan 18, 2017 Robert Greene Selected as a Jury Member for the Sundance Film Festival
- Dec 09, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Exploring Other Lifestyles from Behind the Lens
- Nov 16, 2016 Professor Robert Greene Nominated for Prestigious Documentary Award
- May 26, 2016 Graduate Student Wins Best Short Documentary Award at Film Festival
- Apr 18, 2016 Filmmaker Spike Lee Teaches Master Class to Documentary Journalism Students
- Mar 28, 2016 Missouri-Hurley Symposium Offers Insights into Diversity, First Amendment
- Mar 22, 2016 Welcome to the Documentary Journalism Program
- Mar 11, 2016 Documentary Journalism Students Premiere Short Film at True/False Festival
- Aug 06, 2014 Noted Documentary Filmmaker Joins the Missouri School of Journalism Faculty
- Feb 25, 2014 Woelfel Named Director of New Documentary Journalism Center at the Missouri School of Journalism
- Feb 11, 2014 $6.7 Million Gift Funds New Documentary Journalism Program at MU
- Jan 14, 2014 Alumni Win First Place in China Academy Awards for Documentary Film