Junior Suzy Le Bel is a Dallas native studying documentary journalism at Mizzou.
Suzy Le Bel’s Top Entry Focused on How the Campus Energy Plant Works
By Yue Tang
Miami (Feb. 13, 2017) — Missouri School of Journalism junior Suzy Le Bel won first place in the Campus Energy 2017 Student Video Contest sponsored by the International District Energy Association. The Dallas native is studying documentary journalism.
The contest, launched in 2012, is highly competitive. It challenges students from IDEA member institutions – the University of Missouri is one – to create three-minute maximum length videos about their campus energy plant, focused on district energy and/or combined heat and power.
The primary goal of the contest is to enhance general awareness among students of how their institutions’ district energy systems and their operators provide a reliable, economic, efficient and environmentally sound means of heating, cooling and powering their campuses.
Le Bel decided to participate in the competition because she says she has always been passionate about the environment. The project would allow her to learn about district energy, something about which she knew very little. Le Bel worked with Gregg Coffin, director of Energy Management, and Karlan Seville, campus communications manager, of the University of Missouri Campus Facilities.
IDEA’s selection committee praised her approach.
“Your video clearly communicates the importance of your campus district energy system in providing energy efficiency, enhanced environmental protection, fuel flexibility and reliability at the University of Missouri,” the committee wrote in an email to Le Bel.
Noted Le Bel, “I put a lot of time and effort into making the video, and it’s great to know my hard work paid off. I never saw myself making a promotional video like this, but I learned so much during the process.”
Le Bel will showcase her award-winning video at the IDEA 2017 Annual Conference in Scottsdale, Arizona, in June.
“She did a great job, and I hope to work with her again this spring on a few Mizzou Botanic Garden projects,” Seville said. “I enjoy working with students on projects and believe this hands-on learning is what sets Missouri journalism graduates apart from their peers.”
Updated: October 13, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 14, 2020 Six films produced by Missouri School of Journalism students headed to St. Louis International Film Festival in November
- Aug 18, 2020 Recent Journalism School alumna's documentary named a semi-finalist in Student Academy Awards
- May 18, 2020 Documentary Journalism students receive awards at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction film festival
- May 05, 2020 Documentary Journalism students to premiere their films at fourth annual Stronger than Fiction Film Festival May 16-17
- Apr 14, 2020 Finding freedom as a filmmaker
- Feb 26, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism's RJI to host annual documentary film conference 'Based on a True Story'
- Jan 02, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism alum Danny Kerth and 30+ Mizzou alumni team up to raise awareness, combat suicide
- Sep 19, 2019 Assistant Professor Robert Greene awarded the 2019 Chancellor’s Award for Outstanding Research and Creative Activity in the Performing Arts and the Humanities
- Jul 22, 2019 Teoh, Heo Share Experiences as International Students
- May 09, 2019 Documentary Journalism Students to Premier Their Films at Third Annual Stronger Than Fiction Film Festival on May 15 at the Missouri Theater
- Apr 24, 2019 Associate Professor Emeritus Clyde Bentley Completes Fulbright Specialist Fellowship
- Apr 27, 2017 Enterprising Journalist from India Celebrated as Inaugural Fellow
- Mar 21, 2017 Professor Stacey Woelfel Awarded Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Feb 13, 2017 Documentary Journalism Student Wins International Video Contest
- Feb 09, 2017 5 Journalism Undergraduates Win Awards in Visual Art and Design Showcase
- Dec 09, 2016 Fall 2016 @Mizzou: Exploring Other Lifestyles from Behind the Lens
- May 26, 2016 Graduate Student Wins Best Short Documentary Award at Film Festival
- Apr 18, 2016 Filmmaker Spike Lee Teaches Master Class to Documentary Journalism Students
- Mar 22, 2016 Welcome to the Documentary Journalism Program
- Mar 11, 2016 Documentary Journalism Students Premiere Short Film at True/False Festival