B.A. in English, University of Missouri
- Audiences and Persuasion
- Public Relations
- Strategic Communication
HOLLY HIGGINBOTHAM is a professor of strategic communication and a Molly Phelps Bean Faculty Fellow. She teaches courses that cover the principles of the field, public relations, audiences and persuasion, and strategic campaigns. She is the director of the school’s AdZou program, a faculty-led, student-run agency that has served hundreds of local, nonprofit, regional and national clients since its inception at the school. Under her guidance, more than 200 students each academic year gain hands-on Missouri Method experience developing integrated promotional campaigns for real-world clients.
Higginbotham also serves as the faculty advisor for the student chapter of the American Advertising Federation (AAF) and the university’s Student National Advertising Competition (NSAC) team. During her tenure as NSAC advisor, four teams have advanced to the national finals, with the 2018 and 2020 teams placing third in the nation. Higginbotham represents AAF’s District 9 (Missouri, Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa) as a member of the National Education Executive Committee, which works to advance the interests of students studying advertising, connecting students, faculty and advertising professionals.
Higginbotham joined the faculty full time in 2013. In 2021 she was the recipient of the Missouri School of Journalism’s O.O. McIntyre Professorship, an award that recognizes teaching excellence.
She has a professional background in both newspaper journalism and strategic communication. The majority of her industry career was spent promoting a multihospital healthcare system with focused efforts on marketing communications, public relations and employee communication. As a practicing professional, Higginbotham received numerous writing and publication awards from the Missouri Hospital Association and the Association of American Medical Colleges. She is a 1989 graduate of MU, with a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 22, 2021 Change in journalism school curriculum leads to Strategic Communication classes offered over summer for first time
- Jul 07, 2021 Missouri School of Journalism students get hands-on experience creating campaigns for real-world clients
- May 19, 2021 Three Journalism faculty awarded Reynolds Faculty Fellowships
- May 14, 2021 Associate Professor Holly Higginbotham awarded the McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- May 12, 2021 Missouri Strategic Communication team advances to National Student Advertising Competition finals
- Feb 25, 2021 New School of Journalism core curriculum course debuts with a Strategic Communication spin
- Jan 04, 2021 AdZou presents findings to clients via Zoom, overcoming challenging circumstances
- Nov 04, 2020 Mizzou NSAC has a new match
- May 19, 2020 NSAC team advances to national finals, one of eight teams to compete in Adobe challenge
- May 18, 2020 AdZou teams present findings to clients over Zoom
- May 11, 2020 Missouri Journalism team to compete in National Student Advertising Competition finals
- Dec 04, 2019 Two Missouri School of Journalism students selected for AAF's 2020 'Most Promising Multicultural Students Program'
- Jun 03, 2019 NSAC Advances to Semifinals, Comes up Just Short of Nationals
- May 17, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Students Gain Hands-On Experience Working for Fee-Based Clients
- Mar 22, 2019 6 Missouri Journalism Professors Awarded Hearst Faculty Fellowships
- Nov 29, 2017 Two Strat Comm Students Selected for AAF St. Louis Scholarship
- Sep 09, 2017 Four Strategic Communication Professors Recently Promoted
- Aug 18, 2017 School Welcomes New Faculty Members, Announces Promotions
- May 08, 2017 Strategic Communication Students Win Third Place and Award for Most Outstanding Presenters
- Mar 27, 2017 Junior Miranda Cowan Selected for National AAF Stickell Internship Program
- Oct 25, 2016 Students Learn from Agency Professionals at Chicago Conference
- May 05, 2016 Miranda Lee Recognized by the American Advertising Federation
- May 04, 2016 Missouri Students Give Strong Performance in District 9 Advertising Competition
- Feb 10, 2016 Senior Wins American Advertising Federation Scholarship
Updated: August 7, 2023