GEORGE KENNEDY worked for 10 years at daily newspapers in Delaware and Florida before joining the Missouri School of Journalism faculty in 1974. At Missouri, Kennedy has served as chairman of the Editorial Department and as associate dean. Many recent alumni know him best as managing editor of the school’s teaching newspaper, the Columbia Missourian — a position he held for almost 12 years. Kennedy’s academic interests center on journalistic practice and the future of the profession. He has been a Fulbright lecturer in New Zealand and a visiting professor in Slovakia and Spain. His most recent articles have appeared in The American Editor and Columbia Journalism Review, and he has co-authored three textbooks in reporting and writing. Kennedy holds a bachelor’s degree and a doctorate from Missouri and a master’s degree from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Brian S. Brooks, George Kennedy, Daryl Moen, Don Ranly. Telling the Story: The Convergence of Print, Broadcast and Online Media, 5th Edition, New York: Bedford/St. Martin's Press, 2013.
- Brian S. Brooks, George Kennedy, Daryl Moen, Don Ranly. News Reporting and Writing, 12th Edition, New York: Bedford/St. Martin's Press, 2018. This includes a workbook and an instructor's manual. The book also is published in Korean and Chinese.
- George Kennedy, Daryl Moen. What Good Is Journalism? How Reporters and Editors Are Saving America's Way of Life, University of Missouri Press, 2007.
- Oct 4, 2017: Missourian Wins 57 Awards in Missouri Press Association Contest
- Mar 16, 2015: Professor Emeritus George Kennedy Selected for Chancellor's Award
- May 6, 2013: Missouri Journalism Alumna Elizabeth McGowan Wins Pulitzer Prize for National Reporting
- Mar 21, 2013: Missouri School of Journalism Alumni Give Insights into Long-Form Stories and Reporting
- May 17, 2012: Josh Barone Wins 2012 Atwater Prize for Writing Contest
- Mar 9, 2012: Henry Hager, 85, MU Journalism Professor, Remembered for Graceful Interaction
- Mar 28, 2011: Master's Student Joan Niesen Wins 2011 Atwater Prize for Writing Contest
- Jun 7, 2010: Glenn Leshner Named O.O. McIntyre Professor for 2010
- May 10, 2010: Kappa Tau Alpha to Honor Professor Emeritus George Kennedy with Outstanding Service Award
- Apr 28, 2010: Alumna Barbara Laker, BJ '79, Wins the Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting
- Dec 14, 2009: George Kennedy and Liz Brixey Honored by Journalism Graduate Students Association
- May 29, 2009: Betty Houchin Winfield Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Mar 17, 2009: Life Stories: Paul Fisher Alumnus, Former Professor and Director of the Freedom of Information Center
- Jun 23, 2008: Graduate Student Wins Atwater Prize for Writing
- May 28, 2008: Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- Feb 26, 2008: School Alumnus and Cartoonist for The New Yorker to Contribute to Centennial/Dedication
- Sep 17, 2007: Journalism School Makes Headlines in University's Alumni Magazine
- Jul 13, 2007: New Book by Missouri Journalism Faculty Shows the Important Roles that Journalism Plays in Our Country's Democracy
- May 31, 2007: Woelfel Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- May 25, 2007: Traudes Wins Atwater Prize for Writing
- May 10, 2006: Adam Schreck Wins Atwater Prize for Writing
- May 20, 2005: Two Longtime Missouri Journalism Professors Retire
- Apr 27, 2005: New Research Shows Americans' Love-Hate Relationship with Journalism
- Apr 15, 2005: Upcoming Conversation to Share Good News about Journalism
- Nov 29, 2004: 136 Graduates Will Be Recognized at Fall Commencement Ceremonies
- Nov 19, 2004: Walter Williams Society Welcomes New Members
- Oct 4, 2004: Don Ranly Steps Down as Head of Magazine Sequence
- Aug 26, 2004: Missouri Group Publishes New Edition of News Reporting and Writing Textbook
- Nov 7, 2003: Missouri Group Publishes Book on Media Convergence
- Oct 3, 2002: Missouri School of Journalism Hosts Symposium in D.C.