The Paper Won a Silver Medal and Honorable Mention in the Society of News Design Awards Competition
Columbia, Mo. (Nov. 16, 2016) — The Society for News Design‘s Region 19 – covering Asia and the South Pacific, including India, Australia, Japan, Indonesia and Southeast Asia – has awarded the Columbia Missourian a silver medal and an honorable mention for page design covering the Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.
The Missourian work competed against professional papers and publications from the Middle East, Central and South America and the United States in the 38th Best of News Design competition.
In the Sports Front category, Brianna Schroer earned a silver medal for “Life in the Fast Lane,” published in the Aug. 19-20, 2016, issue. Alex Wozniczka won an honorable mention for “America’s ‘Final Five’ Take Gold,” published Aug. 10, 2016.
The judges gave special recognition to the designers and editors at the Missourian, citing “their bold photo editing and display. The Missourian’s sports fronts were a standout, using simple architecture that consistently respected and elevated the power of sports photography.”
“This award just affirms my belief that great design takes great planning and teamwork, and I’m so proud of everyone in this whole process,” said Tom Warhover, executive editor of the Missourian.
The paper’s design editor, Brady Jones, oversaw the development of the work.
Other students involved in the project were Kyle Brown, Laura Davis, Jamie Dunaway, Sarah Fine, Amber Garrett, Brooks Holton, Andrew Kessel, Sasha Kochurova, Jonathan McKay, Haley Pitto, Brianna Schroer, Hannah Sturtecky and Zach Van Epps.
The competition was judged by Chris Courtney, lead mentor at Bloc in Chicago; Satoshi Toyoshima, assistant graphics editor at The Sankei Shimbun in Toyko; and Stephen Komives, executive director of SND.
Updated: October 9, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Jul 11, 2018 ESPN veteran Michael Knisley to lead Columbia Missourian sports coverage
- Jun 08, 2018 After Missouri Governor Resigns, Missourian Reporters Tell Underclassmen How They Covered One of the Biggest Stories of the Year
- Jun 01, 2018 Ruby Bailey Named Missouri Community Newspaper Management Chair
- Oct 04, 2017 Missourian Wins 57 Awards in Missouri Press Association Contest
- May 25, 2017 Morgan Cook, MA '08, Named San Diego Journalist of the Year
- Mar 14, 2017 From Denmark to Missouri: Doctoral Candidate Reflects on Studying Journalism Here
- Feb 09, 2017 5 Journalism Undergraduates Win Awards in Visual Art and Design Showcase
- Jan 09, 2017 Tom Warhover Steps Down as Executive Editor of the Columbia Missourian
- Sep 04, 2013 Newseum Recognizes Recent Columbia Missourian Front Page to Be Among World’s Top 10 Designs of the Day
- May 06, 2013 Missouri Journalism Designers Win 7 Awards in National College News Design Contest
- Feb 12, 2013 U.S. Ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa Features Missouri School of Journalism, University of Missouri on His Website
- Sep 12, 2012 Missourian Front Sports Page Cited as One of the 'Most Interesting Weekend Front Pages' by National Design Critic
- Jul 25, 2012 Journalism Students Produce 10-Part Series on Book Challenges in Missouri's Public Schools
- Jul 11, 2012 Missouri Journalism Students Document Lives and Dreams of Millennial Generation - Ages 16 to 35 - in the State
- Apr 27, 2012 Missouri Journalism Students Win 33 Awards in National College News Design Contest
- Apr 09, 2012 Vox Magazine Earns an Award of Excellence from the Society of News Design
- Nov 27, 2007 Missouri School of Journalism Launches Brussels Program with Inaugural Class of Seven
- Oct 15, 2007 Visiting Fellows Bring Expertise to the Newsroom and Classroom
- Oct 12, 2007 Missouri Journalism Students Earn 30 Awards in Statewide Professional Competition
- May 14, 2007 Missouri Journalism Students Dominate Annual College News Design Contest
- Sep 09, 2006 Stern Named Managing Editor of the Columbia Missourian
- Aug 29, 2006 Special Section of Columbia Missourian Receives 1st Place Award
- May 01, 2006 Sophomore Journalism Student Receives $70,000 IIPP Fellowship Award
- Apr 04, 2006 Master's Students Receive International Recognition for Excellence in Visual Journalism
- Feb 06, 2006 Two Journalism Students Win Hearst Writing Awards
- Aug 22, 2005 Study Finds MyMissourian, MU's Citizen Journalism Project, Is Paying Off
- May 16, 2005 Recent Advertising Graduate Selected for Northern India Program
- Apr 01, 2005 Missouri Design Professor Helps Newspaper Win Distinguished Design Award
- Mar 31, 2005 Journalism Students Visit with Iraqi Journalists about Freedom of the Press
- Mar 01, 2005 Field-Test of the World's First EmPRINT Newspaper to Begin March 6