LEE WILKINS focuses her research on media ethics, media coverage of the environment and hazards and risks. She is a co-author of one of the country’s best-selling college ethics texts, Media Ethics: Issues and Cases, now in its fifth edition with McGraw-Hill. Wilkins is the associate editor of the country’s leading academic journal on media ethics: The Journal of Mass Media Ethics.
Wilkins was named a Page Legacy Scholar from the Arthur W. Page Center in 2005 and received a $10,000 grant to support the study, The Moral Media: How Public Relations Professionals Reason about Ethics. She has received several other grants to support her research.
The MU Alumni Association named Wilkins as a recipient of the 39th annual Faculty-Alumni Awards in 2006. She has received the William T. Kemper Award for Teaching Excellence in 1998, the highest teaching award on the University of Missouri-Columbia campus. A year earlier the Missouri School of Journalism gave Wilkins its highest teaching award, the O.O. McIntyre Distinguished Professorship. She has taught ethics as a visiting faculty member at the Poynter Institute in St. Petersburg, Fla.
Wilkins has a joint appointment in the Harry S. Truman School of Public Affairs, where she teaches about communicating risk to the public. Her research in that area has focused on the 1993 Midwest floods, the 1984 Bhopal, India, chemical spill, the 1997 El Nino and integrating knowledge of disaster coverage into coverage of terrorism.
Wilkins holds a doctorate degree in political science and a master’s in journalism from the University of Oregon and bachelor’s degrees in journalism and political science from the University of Missouri. She is a member of Phi Beta Kappa, Alpha of Missouri, and Kappa Tau Alpha at both Missouri and Oregon.
Prior to her academic appointments, Wilkins served as a newspaper editor and reporter in Colorado, Oregon and Michigan.
- R. Coleman and L. Wilkins. (2009). “The Moral Development of Public Relations Practitioners: A Comparison with Other Professions.” Journal of Public Relations Research, 21(3 July) 318-340.
- Elizabeth Hendrickson and Lee Wilkins. (2009). “The Wages of Synergy.” Journalism Practice Vol. 3 (4): 37-391.
Refereed Paper Presentations
- Seth Ashley, Lee Wilkins and Amanda Wysocki. “Negotiating Privacy in the 21st Century: The Millennial View.” AEJMC annual conference, Boston, Aug. 5-8, 2009.
- Lee Wilkins and Clifford G. Christians. “The Handbook of Mass Media Ethics.” 2009. Eds. New York: Routledge, pp. v-398. Named best-edited book of 2009 by the ethics division, National Communication Association.
- Renita Coleman and Lee Wilkins. “Moral Development: A Psychological Approach to Understanding Ethical Judgment.” 2009. “The Handbook of Mass Media Ethics,” Eds. Wilkins, L., and Christians, C. G. New York: Routledge. pp. 40-54.
- Lee Wilkins. “Covering Disasters: An Ethical Approach to News Reporting,” in “A Philosophical Approach to Journalism Ethics,” a collection of original essays and commentary, Ed. Christopher Meyers. 2010. Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 311-324.
- Lee Wilkins. “Carol Gilligan: Ethics of Care,” “Mohandas Gandhi: Fellowship of Power,” and “John Dewey: Democratic Conversation,” all in Eds. Clifford G. Christians and John C. Merrill, “Ethical Communication: Moral Stances in Human Dialogue.” 2009. Columbia, Mo.: University of Missouri Press, pp. 33-39; 173-179; and 186-192, respectively.
- Kent S. Collins, Martha Steffens, Esther Thorson, Lee Wilkins. Reporting Disaster on Deadline, Routledge, 2012. 144 pages.
- Lee Wilkins, Renita Coleman. The Moral Media: How Journalists Reason About Ethics, Mahwah, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 2005.
- Lee Wilkins, Philip Patterson. Media Ethics: Issues and Cases, 7th Edition, New York: McGraw-Hill, 2008. This book also is published in Korean and Chinese.
- Lee Wilkins, Stephen J.A. Ward and Herman Wasserman. Media Ethics Beyond Borders: A Global Perspective, Portsmouth, N.H.: Heinemann, 2008.
- Aug 2, 2017: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More than 80 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- Jul 25, 2016: Faculty, Students, Alumni to Present Almost 90 Papers at Global Conference
- Jul 15, 2015: Faculty, Alumni, Students to Present Papers at Global Research Conference
- Sep 29, 2014: Sandy Davidson Honored with Prestigious Curators' Teaching Professorship
- Jul 24, 2014: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 100-Plus Papers at International Conference; 18 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Aug 14, 2013: A Record Breaker: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 114 Papers at International Conference; 11 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Aug 14, 2012: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 106 Papers at International Conference; 19 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 4, 2012: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Alumnus to Publish 'Reporting Disaster on Deadline' Handbook
- Mar 11, 2011: Female Journalists Offer Global Perspective on Profession
- Jul 30, 2010: Faculty, Students to Serve as Moderators, Discussants and Panelists for 21 Sessions at AEJMC
- Jul 29, 2010: Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty to Present 44 Papers at International Research Conference
- Jun 7, 2010: Glenn Leshner Named O.O. McIntyre Professor for 2010
- Apr 13, 2010: Two Missouri Journalism Faculty Elected to Key AEJMC Committees
- Jul 22, 2009: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students to Present 50 Scholarly Papers, Lead 21 Sessions at Upcoming Research Conference
- May 29, 2009: Betty Houchin Winfield Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- May 19, 2009: Missouri Faculty, Students Present 36 Papers at ICA Conference
- Apr 8, 2009: Missouri Journalism Professor Awarded 2009 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Jan 15, 2009: Lee Wilkins Named a Prestigious Curators' Teaching Professorship
- Sep 18, 2008: Missouri Journalism Associate Dean Receives Outstanding Educator Award
- Aug 8, 2008: Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students Present 36 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- May 30, 2008: Broadcast Professor Emeritus Named 2008 Faculty Retiree of the Year
- May 28, 2008: Associate Dean for Undergraduate Studies Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- Mar 6, 2008: Broadway Play "The Front Page" to Be Performed at Centennial/Dedication Celebration
- Feb 21, 2008: Scholarly Symposium to Highlight 1908 as a Pivotal Year in American Journalism
- Oct 19, 2007: Master's Student Named David Kaplan Memorial Fellow at ABC News in D.C.
- Aug 27, 2007: Missouri Journalism Professor Releases Sixth Edition of Media Ethics Textbook
- May 31, 2007: Woelfel Wins $10,000 O.O. McIntyre Professorship
- Apr 30, 2007: 31 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Student Papers on Program at 2007 ICA Conference
- Apr 6, 2007: Kraxberger Earns 2007 Kemper Fellowship, University's Top Honor for Teaching Excellence
- Nov 10, 2006: Collaborative Merge of KBIA, KOMU and the Missourian Newsrooms Creates a New Convergence Experience for Students
- Oct 31, 2006: Wilkins, Wright Honored with 2006 MUAA Faculty-Alumni Awards
- Oct 30, 2006: Research Abilities Develop Practical Career Skills
- Jul 17, 2006: Journalism Students and Faculty to Present 31 Papers at 2006 AEJMC Conference
- Mar 3, 2006: Graduate Student Wins Overseas Press Club Foundation Scholarship
- Feb 27, 2006: Two Missouri Graduate Students Receive Health Journalism Fellowships
- Dec 15, 2005: iLife, Camera, Action!
- Aug 23, 2005: Laura Pohl Receives U.S. Student Fulbright Award
- Jun 21, 2005: Wilkins, Coleman Receive Grant to Conduct Ethics Research; Named Page Legacy Scholars
- Apr 25, 2005: John Schneller, Journalism Professor, Receives Kemper Award
- Aug 23, 2004: Missouri Faculty and Students Win Awards, Present Papers at Professional Conference
- Feb 13, 2004: Journalism Codes of Ethics Now Focused More on Financial Success, J-School Researchers Say
- Apr 28, 2003: Missouri School of Journalism Student Receives 2003 MU Distinguished Dissertation Award