The Award Includes a Mentor and Membership in District 9 Chapter
The scholarship includes $1,500 towards tuition, membership in AAF-KC, free admission to almost every AAF-KC event and, most importantly, each student is paired with a mentor. That mentor is someone working in Kansas City, in a discipline that the student is interested in a career in.
“Every year, I’m amazed by the talent, work ethic and accomplishments of the students we award these scholarships to,” said Kyle Rohde, AAF-KC Foundation president. “It’s gratifying to meet the next generation of leaders and know the future of our industry is in good hands.”
The Missouri students selected to receive scholarships for the 2014-15 academic year are the following:
Jamie Bland, a junior from Bethalto, Illinois, is focusing her strategic communication studies on account management and media planning and is pursuing minors in business and political science.
Jazmin Burrell is a junior strategic communication major, Spanish minor from Grandview, Missouri. With an emphasis in account management, she hopes to one day have a positive effect on the way people of color are portrayed in the media. This past semester, she served as public relations intern for Bronze Magazine in New York City. She is a member of the Honors College at the University and hopes to graduate with Latin honors next Spring. Jazmin is very involved at the University with Mizzou Alternative Breaks, the Chancellor’s Diversity Initiative and social justice issues.
Ebony Francis, from Orlando, Florida, is a junior strategic communication major with a focus on advertising and a passion for increasing diversity in the media industry. She was selected for the American Association for Advertising Agencies’ 2014 Multicultural Advertising Internship Program and will serve as an account management intern at DigitasLBi in San Francisco this summer. Francis has served previous internships at the American Advertising Federation in Washington, D.C., and at Adkarma, an online advertising company in Columbia, Missouri.
Abbey Tingle, from Overland Park, Kan., is a senior strategic communication major, Spanish minor. She worked as a marketing intern at Metropolis Studios in London, an independent recording studio and creative services company, during the spring 2014 semester. There, she focused on graphic design, notably for funk artist George Clinton, hip-hop artist Kelis and other members of the entertainment industry. Previous internships include one with Meers Advertising in Kansas City, Mo., Tingle also served as an executive board member of the University of Missouri’s Department of Student Activities.
Anthony Tovar, from Lee’s Summit, Missouri, and is focusing on account management within the strategic communication area. Tovar will be a part of the account management intern team at Momentum Worldwide, an agency in St. Louis, this summer. He has developed mobile app solutions while interning with the National Association of Construction Contractors Cooperation in Kansas City during the 2012 and 2013 summers.
Students from 17 different schools within approximately 200 miles of Kansas City are eligible to apply for the scholarship. The process begins with a written application, which is then scored by each board member. The highest-rated students are then invited to a 20-minute, in-person interview with the Foundation board, who then score the students again. From there, the scholarship winners are chosen.
Updated: July 24, 2020
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 05, 2016 Alumni Profile: Jody Peterson
- Oct 25, 2016 Students Learn from Agency Professionals at Chicago Conference
- Jul 21, 2016 Meet New J-Students: Jasmine-Kay Johnson
- May 04, 2016 Missouri Students Give Strong Performance in District 9 Advertising Competition
- Feb 01, 2016 Kwon Wins $1,650 Award for Research on Luxury Brand Behaviors
- Nov 06, 2014 2 Seniors Selected for 'Most Promising Multicultural Students Program'
- Nov 04, 2014 Esther Thorson Discusses Ethics, TV Ads in DeFleur Lecture at Boston University
- Oct 02, 2014 New Endowed Scholarship Fund Established to Honor Alumnus Larry Moore
- May 20, 2014 Missouri Students Earn a Top 3 Win in District 9 National Student Advertising Competition
- May 12, 2014 American Association of Advertising Agencies Selects Ebony Francis for its Multicultural Advertising Internship Program
- May 12, 2014 5 Students to Receive a $1,500 Scholarship from the American Advertising Federation-Kansas City Foundation
- May 08, 2014 Strategic Communication Awards Celebrate Excellence and Achievements
- Jan 27, 2014 Alumnus Robert S. Leaf Named One of Britain's 500 Most Influential People
- Dec 29, 2003 Two Advertising Students Named to AAF's Most Promising Minority Students Honor Roll
- Dec 18, 2003 Two Advertising Students Create TV Ads for Nokia and Win a Trip to the Sugar Bowl
- Sep 22, 2003 New Advertising Department Chair Named
- Jun 16, 2003 MU Journalism Student Wins $10,000 Top Ten Scholarship
- May 30, 2003 MU Students Study How to Market Marshall
- Mar 11, 2003 Student Awarded Prestigious AAF Internship
- Mar 03, 2003 Linda Eatherton of Ketchum Returns as a Professional in Residence