Associate Professional Practice Professor SARA SHIPLEY HILES teaches writing and online journalism at the Missouri School of Journalism. Her areas of interest include environmental, science and health reporting; using multimedia and social media; and investigative reporting.
Hiles started her journalism career at The Times-Picayune in New Orleans while still a student at Loyola University. For one story, she spent the night with homeless teenagers living in an abandoned building in the French Quarter. Later work uncovered an illegal gambling operation and exposed rampant underage drinking. She moved to the The Statesman-Journal in Salem, Ore., where she realized her dream of covering the environmental beat, including traveling to Iceland to cover “Keiko” the killer whale’s journey to freedom. At The Courier-Journal in Louisville, Ky., she co-wrote investigative projects on mentally ill jail inmates and on railroad workers exposed to toxic solvents on the job. At the St. Louis Post-Dispatch, she reported on the endangered Ozark hellbender salamander, floodplain development, and the scourge of “popcorn lung” disease suffered by factory workers across the country.
Her freelance work has been published in The Christian Science Monitor, The Boston Globe, Mother Jones and other publications. She is co-author of a book on Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans.
Hiles has taught at Western Kentucky University and Bowling Green State University in Ohio. She has won awards and recognition for teaching, feature writing, digital journalism and investigative reporting.
She received her master’s degree in journalism from the University of Missouri. She lives in Columbia with her husband and son and enjoys cycling, cooking and reading. Connect with Hiles at her personal website, sarashipleyhiles.com, or on Twitter or Facebook.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Sep 24, 2021 Mississippi River Basin Ag & Water Desk welcomes Tegan Wendland as editorial director
- Sep 13, 2021 Missouri School of Journalism to host pair of international journalists for Smith/Patterson science journalism lecture
- Jul 27, 2021 Missouri journalism faculty, graduate students and alumni to present at AEJMC 2021 virtual conference
- Jul 19, 2021 Alumnus wins national SPJ Mark of Excellence Award for photo illustration
- Jul 08, 2021 $1.4 million grant to Missouri School of Journalism helps create network of journalists focused on Mississippi River basin
- Jun 11, 2021 Graduate students Mallory Daily and Leanne Tippett Mosby each awarded a Smith/Patterson Science Journalism Fellowship
- Mar 09, 2021 Missouri School of Journalism's 2021 Smith/Patterson Fellowship will provide two $2,500 domestic grants
- Mar 09, 2021 Missouri School of Journalism to host NPR health correspondent Rhitu Chatterjee, MA '07
- Jan 29, 2021 NewsPro names Associate Professor Sara Shipley Hiles a 2021 Noteworthy Journalism Educator
- Nov 06, 2019 Journalism professors equip students with science and information literacy skills
- Nov 01, 2019 Journalism School to host journalist and author Jon Cohen
- Oct 14, 2019 The Missouri School of Journalism welcomes Miles O’Brien for an evening lecture
- Jun 04, 2019 Hands-On Investigative Reporting Project Leads Missouri Attorney General to Launch New Probe
- Apr 24, 2019 Graduate Student Dan Schwartz is 2019 Smith/Patterson Science Journalism Fellow
- Apr 09, 2019 Journalism School to Host Journalist and Author Lisa Palmer
- Mar 22, 2019 6 Missouri Journalism Professors Awarded Hearst Faculty Fellowships
- Oct 25, 2016 Visiting Journalists to Discuss US-India Partnership Related to Covering Health
- Apr 18, 2016 Science, Environmental Journalism Group to Host National Geographic Speaker
- Apr 12, 2016 Journalism Students, Faculty Win Health Journalism 2016 Fellowships
- Feb 09, 2016 Missouri Journalism Students to Attend DC Global Science Conference
- Jan 27, 2016 Missouri School of Journalism Offers Nuclear Energy Workshop to Journalists
- Oct 26, 2015 Missouri Honor Medal Winners to Present Master Classes on Oct. 26
- Jul 24, 2015 Magazine Students, Vox Magazine Win 11 Awards in National Competition
- May 21, 2015 Vox Magazine Earns National SPJ Recognition
- May 20, 2015 Vox Reporters Travel More Than 3,000 Miles of Missouri's Back Roads
- Mar 20, 2015 Health Journalism Fellowships Awarded to 9 Missouri Students and Professionals
- Nov 03, 2014 Master's Student Publishes iBook Showcasing Photos, Writing of Jack and Dorothy Fields
- Oct 13, 2014 Vox Magazine Students Use Digital Tools to Catch Vibe of Roots 'N' Blues 'N' BBQ Festival
- Jul 29, 2014 Cleaner, Brighter, Easier to Navigate: Vox Magazine Website Redesign Culminates 3 Years of Work
- Apr 22, 2014 Students Immerse Themselves in Science Journalism at National Conference
- Apr 18, 2014 New Vox Magazine Design Offers Fresh New Look for Columbia Readers
Updated: August 6, 2019