- Artificial Intelligence and Advertising
- Health Communication and New Technology
- Psychological Processing of Digital Health Messages
SHELLY RODGERS is a professor of strategic communication and and the Maxine Wilson Gregory Chair in Journalism Research in the Missouri School of Journalism. Rodgers is recognized for exceptional research productivity and impact in top advertising and health communication journals and is ranked as one of the most prolific scholars during the past 20 years based on her publication activity.
She is an award-winning educator, honored with the American Academy of Advertising’s Charles H. Sandage “Sandy” Excellence in Teaching award in 2020 and the University of Missouri’s William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence in 2018. She received the 2020 President’s Award for Sustained Career Excellence in Humanities/Social Behavioral Sciences, the 2019 SEC Faculty Achievement Award, and was featured for her outstanding record of research and scholarship in Time Magazine and Chronicle of Higher Education.
For nearly two decades, Dr. Rodgers has successfully led interdisciplinary teams of researchers, educators, practitioners, and every day citizens on health and science communication initiatives, garnering and overseeing nearly $30 million in grant funding. Dr. Rodgers is the third female to serve as Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Advertising and is the elected 2010 President of the American Academy of Advertising.
Maxine Wilson Gregory Chair in Journalism Research The Maxine Wilson Gregory Chair was endowed with a bequest from Maxine Wilson Gregory, an alumna of the Missouri School of Journalism, who died in New York City in 1995. She graduated from MU in 1930, after having earned a bachelor’s degree from the University of Kansas. Mrs. Gregory worked as an editor on various book projects after graduation. She and her husband traveled extensively around the world and felt at home in many cultures.
- President’s Award for Sustained Career Excellence in Humanities/Social Behavioral Sciences, 2020.
- Recipient, SEC Faculty Achievement Award in recognition of scholarly and teaching excellence, University of Missouri, 2019.
- Recipient, William T. Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence, University of Missouri, 2018.
- Ranked nationally as the 1st most productive Internet Advertising researcher and 5th most productive researcher in Internet Advertising, Marketing and Communication. Source: Cho, Chang-Hoan, and Hyoung Koo Khang, 2006), “The State of Internet-Related Research in Communications, Marketing, and Advertising: 1994-2003,” Journal of Advertising, 35 (3), 143-163).
- Ranked nationally as 9th most cited Internet advertising scholar and 15th most cited Internet advertising journal article. Source: Kim, Juran, and Sally McMillan (2008), “Evaluation of Internet Advertising Research: A Bibliometric Analysis of Citations from Key Sources,” Journal of Advertising, 37 (1), 99-112.
- Ranked internationally as 17th most productive advertising researcher in the American Academy of Advertising among 290 different journals. Source: Eric Haley and Sally McMillan (2010), “The Reach of Advertising Scholars’ Research” paper presented at the American Academy of Advertising Annual Conference Proceedings, Minneapolis, Minnesota, p. 86).
- Ranked internationally as 32nd (out of 987) most productive advertising faculty based on refereed publications in the top three U.S. journals (Journal of Advertising, Journal of Advertising Research, and Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising). Source: Ford, John B., and Altaf Merchant, 2008, “A Ten-Year Retrospective of Advertising Research Productivity, 1997-2006,” Journal of Advertising, 37 (3), 69-94.
- Rodgers, Shelly, and Esther Thorson (2019), co-editors, Advertising Theory (2nd edition), New York and London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Rodgers, Shelly, and Esther Thorson (2017), co-editors, Digital Advertising: Theory and Research (3rd edition), New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Thorson, Esther, and Shelly Rodgers (2019), “Advertising”, Chapter 15, in Donald W. Stacks, Michael B. Salwen, and Kristen C. Eichhorn (Eds.), An Integrated Approach to Communication Theory and Research, 3rd edition. New York and London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Thorson, Esther, and Shelly Rodgers (2019), “Advertising Theory in the Digital Age,” Chapter 1 in Shelly Rodgers and Esther Thorson (Eds.), Advertising Theory (2nd edition), New York and London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Bhandari, Manu, and Shelly Rodgers (2019), “What Does the Brand Say? Effects of Brand Feedback to Negative eWOM on Brand Trust and Purchase Intentions,” Chapter 8 in Shu-Chuan Chu, Juran Kim, and Charles R. Taylor (Eds.), Electronic Word of Mouth as a Promotional Technique: New Insights from Social Media, London and New York: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group.
- Rodgers, Shelly, (2020), “Editorial: What Comes Next?” Journal of Advertising, 49 (1), published online: https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/00913367.2020.1712131.
- Rodgers, Shelly, Ze Wang, and Jack C. Schultz (2020), “A Scale to Measure Science Communication Training Effectiveness (SCTE),” Science Communication, 42 (1), 90-111.
- Rodgers, Shelly, and Jon Stemmle (2020), “Are ‘Well Told’ Stories of Cancer Worn Out? Insights on Persuasion Characteristics Used in Cancer Narrative PSAs,” Journal of Current Issues and Research in Advertising, 41 (3), 257-283.
- Luisi, Monique, Shelly Rodgers, and Jack Schultz (2019), “Experientially Learning How to Communicate Science Effectively: A Case Study on Decoding Science,” Journal of Research in Science Teaching, 56 (8), 1135-1152.
- Rodgers, Shelly (2019), “Why We Need Better Measures of Research Impact in Advertising: Considerations for Best Practices to Expand Research’s Reach,” Journal of Advertising Research 58 (4), 385-389
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Oct 31, 2022 Missouri School of Journalism announces inaugural class of Gregory Scholars
- Aug 05, 2022 Gregory Scholars program offers paid research experience at Missouri School of Journalism to students from any school or college at Mizzou
- Jul 20, 2022 Spring 2022 AdZou students gain hands-on research and advertising campaign development experience
- Jun 28, 2022 Three Missouri School of Journalism doctoral students win coveted scholarship from American Academy of Advertising
- Mar 01, 2022 Doctoral student wins American Academy of Advertising’s Dunn Award
- Jan 13, 2022 Monique Luisi: The making of a Missouri School of Journalism scholar and educator
- Jan 06, 2022 Shelly Rodgers and the power of communication: The Missouri School of Journalism professor finding the human stories in advertising
- Dec 21, 2021 2021 at the Missouri School of Journalism: A look back
- Nov 05, 2021 Summer fellowships at Missouri School of Journalism offer students from HBCUs a taste of grad school experience
- Sep 22, 2021 Change in journalism school curriculum leads to Strategic Communication classes offered over summer for first time
- Sep 14, 2021 Two Missouri School of Journalism doctoral students win awards at AEJMC
- Aug 30, 2021 Missouri School of Journalism helping communities in Africa talk about pesticides, avoid fake news
- Apr 08, 2021 Shelly Rodgers named Maxine Wilson Gregory Chair in Journalism Research
- Apr 05, 2021 Missouri Journalism School Professor Shelly Rodgers receives two prestigious awards for excellence in research and teaching
- Nov 13, 2020 Journalism Associate Professor Amy Simons awarded a Reynolds Faculty Fellowship
- Jul 13, 2020 Missouri School of Journalism Professor Shelly Rodgers receives UM System President's Award for Sustained Career Excellence
- Apr 27, 2020 Shelly Rodgers receives 2020 Sandage Award for Teaching Excellence from American Academy of Advertising
- Feb 19, 2020 Five Journalism faculty awarded Reynolds Faculty Fellowships
- Dec 17, 2019 Missouri journalism team helps public health agencies tell stories about opioids, abuse of the drugs
- Jul 24, 2019 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More Than 60 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- Apr 16, 2019 Journalism Professor named Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Advertising
- Mar 28, 2019 SEC Honors Strategic Communication Professor Shelly Rodgers with Faculty Achievement Award
- Jul 24, 2014 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 100-Plus Papers at International Conference; 18 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 05, 2014 Missouri Journalism Scholars to Present 39 Papers at the International Communication Association Conference
- Apr 22, 2014 Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty and Alumni Present Scholarly Research at American Academy of Advertising Conference
- Apr 08, 2014 Doctoral Student Wins 3 Awards at the American Academy of Advertising Annual Conference
- Aug 20, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes New Faculty Members and Announces Promotions for the 2013-14 Academic Year
- Aug 14, 2013 A Record Breaker: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 114 Papers at International Conference; 11 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Jun 13, 2013 4 Missouri School of Journalism Professors Receive Promotions in Academic Rank
- Aug 23, 2004 Missouri Faculty and Students Win Awards, Present Papers at Professional Conference
- Jun 07, 2004 MU Advertising Professor Named 'Most Promising' in Industry
- Jun 02, 2004 Esther Thorson Named 2004 Distinguished Educator by American Advertising Federation
- Jan 07, 2004 MU Advertising Professor Named 'Most Promising' in Industry
Updated: July 1, 2021