MARGARET DUFFY (Ph.D., University of Iowa) is professor of Strategic Communication at the Missouri School of Journalism and Executive Director of the Novak Leadership Institute (NLI). The NLI was endowed by a $21.6 million grant from former YUM! Brands CEO David Novak, an alumnus of the Missouri School of Journalism. The Institute offers an innovative approach to leadership education uniquely rooted in the principles of strategic communication and advertising. Our mission is to prepare lifelong leaders who will make a positive and meaningful impact in their organizations and communities.
An author and consultant, Duffy conducts research and advises media organizations around the world. Her diverse consulting clients include Estee Lauder and the U.S. Army and she has obtained grants from the Pew and Knight Foundations. An award-winning scholar, Duffy’s research focuses on leadership, organizational communication, visual communication, narrative, digital media, and persuasion. She is a former marketing executive and serves on the board of the Institute for Advertising Ethics.
- Nominated, MU Faculty-Alumni Award (2011)
- President’s Award, Missouri Press Association (2009)
- Socrates Award for Teaching Excellence (1998)
- Thorson, E. & Duffy, M. (2011). Advertising Age: Principles of Advertising and Integrated Marketing Communication at Work. Mason, OH: Southwestern Cengage Learning.
- Duffy, M., Page, J., & Young, R. (2012). It’s just a joke: Racist rhetoric and pass-along email images of Obama. In Assessing Evidence in a Postmodern World. Bonnie Brennen, Ed. Nieman Research Conference Proceedings.
- Duffy, M. & Thorson, E. (2008). Emerging trends in the new media landscape and their impact on health communication. In Health Care Communication in the New Media Landscape. Jerry Parker and Esther Thorson, Eds. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 93-116.
- Thorson, E. & Duffy, M. (2008). Health communication in the new media landscape. In Health Care Communication in the New Media Landscape. Jerry Parker and Esther Thorson, Eds. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 437-446.
- Thorson, E, & Duffy, M. & Schumann, D. W. (2007). The Internet waits for no one. In Internet Advertising: Theory and Practice. Esther Thorson and David Schuman, Eds. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 3-13.
- Duffy, M. (1994). Body of evidence: Studying women in advertising. In Utopia and Gender in Advertising: A Critical Reader. A. & L. Manca, Eds., 5-30. Lisle, IL: Procopian Press, 5-30.
- Ferucci, P., Tandoc, E., & Duffy, M. (2014). Modeling reality: The connection between behavior on reality TV and Facebook. Bulletin of Science, Technology & Society, 34, 99-107.
- Tandoc, E., Ferucci, P. & Duffy, M. (2014). Facebook use, envy, and depression among college students: Is Facebooking depressing? Computers in Human Behavior, 43, 139-146.
- Duffy, M. & Page, J. (2013). Does political humor matter? You betcha! Journal of Popular Culture, 46(3), 546-565.
- Duffy, M., Page, J, & Young, R. (2011). Obama as anti-American: Visual folklore in right-wing forwarded emails and construction of conservative social identity. Journal of American Folklore 125(496), 177-203.
- Lacy, S., Duffy, M., Riffe, D., Thorson, E. & Fleming, K. (2010). Citizen journalism web sites complement newspapers. Newspaper Research Journal Vol. 31 No. 2, p. 34-36.
- Lacy, S., Riffe, D., Thorson, E., & Duffy, M. (2009). Examining the Features, Policies, and Resources of Citizen Journalism: Citizen News Sites and Blogs. Web Journal of Mass Communication Research, 15.
- Page, J. & Duffy, M. (2009). Battle of visions: Dueling images of morality in US political campaign TV Ads. Communication, Culture and Critique, 1 (2), 110-135.
- Rodgers, S., Chen, Q., Duffy, M., & Fleming, K. (2006). Media usage as health segmentation variables. Journal of Health Communication, 12 (2), 105-119.
- Duffy, M. (2003). Web of hate: A fantasy theme analysis of the rhetorical vision of hate groups online. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 27 (3), 291-312.
- Brennen, B. & Duffy, M. (2003). If a problem cannot be solved, enlarge it: An ideological critique of the other in Pearl Harbor and September 11 New York Times Coverage. Journalism Studies, (1), 3-14.
- Duffy, M. (2000). There’s no two-way symmetric about it: A postmodern examination of public relations textbooks. Critical Studies in Media Communication, vol. 17 (3). 294-315.
- Duffy, M. (2000). Thoughts on public relations education: Can propaganda be good for you? Critical Studies in Media Communication, vol. 17 (3) (response), 377-381.
- Duffy, M. (1997). High stakes: A fantasy theme analysis of the selling of riverboat gambling in Iowa. Southern Communication Journal, 62 (2), 117-132.
- Duffy, M. & Gotcher, J. M. (1997). In their own words: Creating media literacy through the application of communication theories and research. Journal of Administrative Communication Association, 2, 125-132.
- Duffy, M. & Gotcher, J. M. (1996). Crucial advice on how to get the guy: The rhetorical vision of power and seduction in the teen magazine YM. Journal of Communication Inquiry, 20 (1), 32-48.
- Lafky, S., Duffy, M. & Berkowitz, D. (1996). Looking through gendered lenses: Female stereotyping in advertisements and gender role expectations. Journalism Quarterly, 73 (3), 379-388.
- Duffy, M. (1994). Ten prescriptions for surviving and thriving in the virtual organization. Public Relations Quarterly, 39 (2), 28-31.
Related StoriesExpand All Collapse All
- Nov 14, 2019 Mizzou Alumni Association honors two Journalism faculty and two alumni with Faculty-Alumni Awards
- Oct 21, 2019 Missouri School of Journalism Professor Margaret Duffy presents research at Oxford University
- Jul 24, 2019 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students and Alumni to Present More Than 60 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- Jul 20, 2018 Top Awards and Numerous Paper Presentations Among Missouri's Highlights at Upcoming Academic Conference
- Jun 05, 2018 Margaret Duffy Wins the McIntyre Professorship for Teaching Excellence
- Mar 19, 2018 Missouri School of Journalism Professor Shelly Rodgers awarded 2018 Kemper Fellowship for Teaching Excellence
- Sep 19, 2017 School of Journalism Names New Chair of Strategic Communication
- Sep 15, 2017 David Novak, Co-Founder, Retired Chairman, CEO of Yum! Brands Gives $21.6 Million to MU School of Journalism
- May 24, 2017 Cultural Backgrounds of Media Organizations Affect International News Coverage, Study Finds
- May 24, 2017 Missouri Journalism Scholars to Present More Than 75 Papers at International Conference
- Jul 25, 2016 Faculty, Students, Alumni to Present Almost 90 Papers at Global Conference
- Mar 31, 2016 Research Provides New Insights into Youth and Young Adult Market
- Feb 19, 2016 Strategic Communication Capstone Courses Set New Enrollment Record
- Feb 03, 2016 New Book on Ethics Addresses Challenges in Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing
- Feb 01, 2016 Kwon Wins $1,650 Award for Research on Luxury Brand Behaviors
- Oct 21, 2015 Global Public Relations Executive, Alumnus Bob Leaf Gives Solomon Lecture
- Jul 15, 2015 Faculty, Alumni, Students to Present Papers at Global Research Conference
- May 28, 2015 Missouri Has Strong Presence at International Communication Conference
- May 11, 2015 Systems Administrator John Meyer Wins Amy Lenk Staff Excellence Award
- Feb 04, 2015 If Facebook Use Causes Envy, Depression Could Follow
- Oct 16, 2014 Mizzou Alumni Association Honors 2 Journalism Faculty and Alumna with Faculty-Alumni Awards
- Sep 17, 2014 Professor Glen T. Cameron Receives Top International Public Relations Honor
- Jul 24, 2014 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 100-Plus Papers at International Conference; 18 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 08, 2014 Strategic Communication Awards Celebrate Excellence and Achievements
- May 05, 2014 Missouri Journalism Scholars to Present 39 Papers at the International Communication Association Conference
- Feb 06, 2014 Workshops Prepare Students for Strategic Communication Career Fair
- Oct 07, 2013 Alumnus Helps Public Relations Students Learn Presentation and Entrepreneurial Skills
- Sep 23, 2013 AdZou Launches New Website with Improved Features for Clients and Students
- Aug 14, 2013 A Record Breaker: Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 114 Papers at International Conference; 11 Earn Top Paper Awards
- Aug 06, 2013 Analysis of Recent International Communication Association Program Highlights Exceptional Research Productivity of the School
- May 28, 2013 Famous Footwear Taps MOJO Ad to Reach the Youth and Young Adult Market
- May 28, 2013 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni to Present 33 Papers at the International Communication Association Conference in London
- Feb 12, 2013 MOJO Ad to Develop Integrated Campaigns for National Chain Famous Footwear
- Feb 12, 2013 The Missouri School of Journalism to Create Two New Online Master's Degree Options
- Sep 04, 2012 Five Missouri Journalism Faculty Receive Promotions, and the School Welcomes Six New Professors for the 2012-13 Academic Year
- Aug 14, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 106 Papers at International Conference; 19 Earn Top Paper Awards
- May 16, 2012 Missouri School of Journalism Scholars to Participate in Global Research Conference
- Dec 05, 2011 Seven Soldiers Earn a Graduate Degree During December Commencement Ceremonies
- Oct 24, 2011 MOJO Ad Releases 2011 'State of the YAYA'
- Sep 15, 2011 Two BJ '61 Alumni Return for MAA Gold Medal Reunion
- Sep 08, 2011 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students and Alumni Present 94 Papers at International Research Conference
- Sep 07, 2011 Missouri Strategic Communication Students' Winning Integrated Campaign Airs on Fox Sports Midwest
- May 17, 2011 Missouri School of Journalism Joins 4A's as an Associate Educational Member
- Apr 19, 2011 Barbara Ifshin Receives the MU Excellence in Education Award
- Jul 30, 2010 Faculty, Students to Serve as Moderators, Discussants and Panelists for 21 Sessions at AEJMC
- Jul 08, 2010 Citizen Journalism vs. Legacy News: The Battle for News Supremacy
- Jul 01, 2010 MU to Host New Advertising Ethics Institute
- Jun 07, 2010 Missouri Journalism Students, Faculty, Alumni to Present 12 Papers, Lead Panel Discussions at 2010 ICA Conference in Singapore
- Apr 29, 2010 Missouri's Strategic Communication Researchers Rank No. 1 in Advertising Publications
- Oct 26, 2009 Thorson, Duffy Surprised with President's Award at the Annual Missouri Press Association Convention
- Jul 22, 2009 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Students to Present 50 Scholarly Papers, Lead 21 Sessions at Upcoming Research Conference
- Apr 08, 2009 Traditional Media Provides More Comprehensive News Than Citizen Media and Blogs, MU Researchers Find
- Sep 18, 2008 Missouri Journalism Associate Dean Receives Outstanding Educator Award
- Aug 08, 2008 Missouri Journalism Faculty, Graduate Students Present 36 Papers at AEJMC Conference
- May 27, 2008 Missouri Journalism Faculty and Students Presented 46 Papers at 2008 ICA Conference
- May 22, 2008 The Impact of a Changing Media Environment on Advertising Ethics to Be Explored in National Discussion
- Oct 01, 2007 Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes New Faculty for Fall 2007; Names Three to Acting Posts
- Sep 10, 2007 Empower MediaMarketing Partnership Establishes Benchmark for Collaboration
- Aug 30, 2007 Missouri Researchers Present 47 Papers, Panel Discussions at Leading Academic Conference
- Aug 24, 2007 Online Master's Degree Students Visit Campus for Three-Day Seminar
- Aug 24, 2007 University of Missouri-Columbia, Beijing Olympic Organizing Committee, Renmin University of China Sign 'Memorandum of Understanding'
- May 14, 2007 Missouri Journalism Professor, Researcher Receives University's 2007 Undergraduate Research Mentor Award
- Apr 26, 2007 Colin Kilpatrick Wins 2007 "Pat on the Back" Award
- Apr 03, 2007 Convergence Journalism Project Offers Media Outlet for Columbia Schools
- Mar 27, 2007 Strategic Communication Summit Highlights Evolving Media, Technology and Research
- Mar 20, 2007 Missouri Student-Athletes Honor Strategic Communication Professor as Most Inspiring Teacher
- Feb 14, 2007 Wal-Mart Corporate Affairs Director to Deliver Raymond M. Solomon Memorial Lecture
- Oct 24, 2006 Strategic Planning for Strategic Communication Education
- May 25, 2006 Missouri Journalism Faculty and Students to Present 31 Papers at 2006 ICA Conference in Germany
- May 04, 2006 Glen Cameron to Present the 2006 21st Century Corps of Discovery Lecture
- Apr 21, 2006 MOJO Ad Launches Web Site
- Mar 13, 2006 Carol H. Williams to Receive Missouri Honor Medal, Deliver Major Address on Market Segmentation
- Feb 13, 2006 BBDO Managing Director to Deliver Raymond M. Solomon Memorial Lecture
- Sep 09, 2004 The Missouri School of Journalism Welcomes Five New Faculty Members
- Aug 23, 2004 Missouri Faculty and Students Win Awards, Present Papers at Professional Conference
- Jun 07, 2004 MU Advertising Professor Named 'Most Promising' in Industry
- Apr 06, 2004 Vector Marketing Honors Student with $1,000 Gift to Advertising Department
- Mar 16, 2004 School Launches New Web Site for Health Communications Research
- Feb 16, 2004 Larry Powell Joins Missouri School of Journalism Faculty
- Jan 07, 2004 MU Advertising Professor Named 'Most Promising' in Industry
Updated: August 13, 2020